Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating data from MacBook Pro to new Imac Desktop

Just received my new 27' Imac Desktop and have begun the process of migrating data from my MacBook Pro to the new Imac.

I have around 220GB of data comprised mostly of videos and photos.

The Imac is showing a completion time of around 45 hours!!.

Does this sound reasonable given the amount of data being transferred?

PS; I have connected the MacBook Pro via Ethernet as recommended.

macbook pro

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:55 PM

That does seem very long. the 3 times i've done it i've always moved it to a hard drive and then onto the new computer. it's never taken me more than 5 hours or so with close to a TB of video.

now that i think back when i went directly from one computer to another it did take longer, but i wasn't doing that much data.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 14, 2013 10:55 PM in response to maxcat64

That does seem very long. the 3 times i've done it i've always moved it to a hard drive and then onto the new computer. it's never taken me more than 5 hours or so with close to a TB of video.

now that i think back when i went directly from one computer to another it did take longer, but i wasn't doing that much data.

Jan 15, 2013 5:56 AM in response to maxcat64

I just got a new iMac on January 2nd, and moved 320GB worth of data from my external Time Machine backup drive (a Firewire drive connected to the new iMac via the Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter) to the new iMac in about 3 hours or so. This was all done via Setup Assistant, not Migration Assistant (which can be run later on for those in a hurry to use their new Mac).

It almost sounds to me as if you're transferring everything via WiFi.

Migrating data from MacBook Pro to new Imac Desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.