Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i connect 2 Thunderbolt Display to a new Mac Pro???

Hi, My question is simple.

I have a Macbook Pro 15" (2011) that I use in my office and a iMac 27" (2011) for home, now I am looking into buying 2 Apple Thunderbolt Display's and use them in my office daisy chained with my Mbp. So far so good, now my question is that I am thinking in a year or two buying a MacPro and I would like then to use these two thunderbolt display's and purchase another one and have the 3 connected to the Mac Pro, obviously with an extra display card on the MacPro since this one only comes with a display card that will accept 2 displays. Woudl this be possible??? Does the Mac Pro at present time accept 2 or 3 thunderbolt displays connected??? or does it only accept the Cinema Display???

Thank you in Advance for your input...

Apple Thunderbolt Display (27-inch)-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 3:23 PM

5 replies

Jan 15, 2013 12:45 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Hi Malcolm, Thank you for your valid help on this.

I read some rumours about the new Mac Pro comming with Thunderbolt, as it should be expected since all laptops and mac mini have one. Is your opinion that I should wait for the new Mac Pro to be anounced and then make my decision or should I just go ahead and buy the Thunderbolt displays since I am looking to purchase the Mac Pro in probably 2 years and by then they will almost for sure have Thunderbolt on them? Also could you please let me know if there is a big difference between the Cinema Display and the Thunderbolt Display beside the Thunderbolt conectivity, is the screen exactly the same? or is the TB faster?

Thank you for your help and imput on this 🙂

Jan 15, 2013 1:29 AM in response to bcoimbra

Current Mac Pro graphics cards can handle three displays each. With the correct adapters, these can be DVI, HDMI, VGA, Mini DisplayPort, or DisplayPort, but not Thunderbolt. There is no information on when or if Thunderbolt capable Mac Pros will be available.

Currently the Mini DisplayPort and Thunderbolt versions of the 27" display should give the same quality image., but:

<http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/01/14/thunderbolt-display-inventory-dwindles -may-hint-at-upcoming-redesign>

You can't use two Mini DisplayPort displays with your MacBook Pro.

Jan 15, 2013 3:31 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thank you again Malcolm,

So in your opinion if I want to buy a total of 3 monitors and obviously will be during a few months and since I want all to be exactly the same, remember that for the moment i would use 2 of them with my mbpro and then in 2 years time get a Mac Pro would you go for the Cinema one, the current TB or wait and go for the NEW TB that will be anouced during this year???

Thank you in advance.

Can i connect 2 Thunderbolt Display to a new Mac Pro???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.