Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore a Time Machine backup from an overwritten partition?

I had a TimeMachine backup on an external disk.

I accidently overwrote the partition containing the TimeMachine files.

How can I retrieve my Time Machine backup? All data recovery software I have found will find jpgs, mp3s, etc, but not restore an overwritten partition or recover the TimeMachine backup.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), i7 processor

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 4:49 PM

6 replies

Jan 14, 2013 4:57 PM in response to Joey Delli Gatti

You can try using a partition recovery tool to try rebuilding the partition tables and hopefully restoring the filesystem on the drive so it provides the system with a properly set up Time Machine drive; however, this will be a hit or miss success.

One tool that may work here is TestDisk: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

...though keep in mind that this is not guaranteed to work.

If you cannot do this, then it will be very difficult if not impossible to restore the Time Machine backup database in a usable fashion when the partition has been destroyed, as in order to do so you would need to restore a number of important files including all of their metadata that is often not possible to do with file restoration tools.

To get Time Machine running again your best bet would be to start fresh, though if you want to keep files from your lost Time Machine drive then you should use another one until you can scour this one and restore the files you've lost.

Restore a Time Machine backup from an overwritten partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.