Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I create a new partition in an external hard drive with disk utility. Now it says mounting disk and it's taking forever. Is that normal? Please help!

I have an external hard drive from seagate. Tonight I decided to give it a try and add a new partition to it so I could have a bootable version of mountain lion in it it just in case of emergency and no internet. After creating the partition, disk utility says "mountain disk", and its been doing it for at least 20 minutes and not moving... Any ideas? btw, now the external drive is not even showing on the left-side bar...

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Disk Utility

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:22 PM

Out of curiosity: are you creating a new partition or are you restoring Mountain Lion onto the external disk? If you are restoring Mountain Lion onto the external disk, that's completely normal

6 replies

I create a new partition in an external hard drive with disk utility. Now it says mounting disk and it's taking forever. Is that normal? Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.