Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I import iphoto albums from one mac to a newer mac

Hello,

I have a brand new mac air with iphoto 11. I have multiple albums on my old macbook pro and old iphoto. I have been able to copy over the photos but the new iphoto will not recognise my albums. My iphone has the albums on it also. would appreciate any feedback or advice.

Thanks

Keith

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:28 AM

10 replies

Jan 15, 2013 8:34 AM in response to keithyboy

No importing involved - just move the library over

Connect the two Macs together (network, firewire target mode, etc) and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity from the old Mac to the pictures folder of the new Mac - launch iPhoto on the new mac and it will open the library and convert it as needed and you will be ready move forward.

LN

Jan 16, 2013 4:21 AM in response to LarryHN

Hello Larry, thanks for the email. I've got a new macbook air and no firewire port. I originally used time machine to back up my old mac on a portable drive then simply copied my whole iphoto folder from this drive to the new mac and its found everything all my pictures but NO albums. they dont exist on my new machine......

Regards

Keith

Jan 16, 2013 9:49 AM in response to keithyboy

Thanks Keith and Larry, not sure if this clears up the problem or not. I currently have ten years of photos and albums on and old PowerBook from 2001 (yes, it's older than dirt!) I just purchased a new MacBook Air. If I move my current library file to my new Mac will I just get the photos or will all my albums be reconstructed in the new iPhoto 11 as well? I am currently using iPhoto 7.1.5. (yes, older than dirt!). I haven't done anything yet to the files and just want to get it cleared up. I would hate to have to recreate many dozens of albums from a "pile" of photos. It sounds like from what you have said that I will indeed just get a pile of photos only. Thanks again for your help guys!

Larry

Jan 16, 2013 9:59 AM in response to PenthouseOne

@PenthouseOne

that is the problem with threadjacking - it condfuses you and other readers

my answer was to KeithBoy not you and was directly adressing his comment

I originally used time machine to back up my old mac on a portable drive then simply copied my whole iphoto folder from this drive to the new mac

It has nothing to do with your question - obvioulsy you do not have exactly the same question

LN

Jan 16, 2013 10:08 AM in response to PenthouseOne

@PenthouseOne

Again the dangers of threadjacking - the entire original thread is about moving the iPhoto library without losing organization (albums and events, etc) - when you move the iPhoto library intact and convert it you have exactly what you had on the old system

I have not idea where you saw this in any answer

It sounds like from what you have said that I will indeed just get a pile of photos only.

LN

How do I import iphoto albums from one mac to a newer mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.