Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple HDD Sleds for 2008 Xserve

I bought an Xserve that only had one sled, that P/N is 620-4086. I bought two more on eBay but the P/N is 620-3647, those will not recognize at all. I have switched HDDs, OEM and aftermarket. WD, Seagate, and Hitachi. Are these 100% not compatible with my 2008 Xserve or is there an firmware I need? I can't find a whole lot of info. Image one is P/N 620-3647 and two is 620-4086.

Thanks in advance. Oh and I am running 10.7.5 Server and done all updates I can.

MrN

.User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Xserve, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Server

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:22 AM

There are multiple different sleds. The original part number likely relates to the size of the drive that was originally installed (Apple never sold empty sleds), but in addition to that there are different versions for the PowerPC and Intel-based XServes.

In short, compatibility isn't guaranteed, especially if you're trying to use a PowerPC-based sled in your Intel XServe (the Intel ones specifically have '(Intel)' printed on the lower label.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 15, 2013 10:22 AM in response to MrNobody13

There are multiple different sleds. The original part number likely relates to the size of the drive that was originally installed (Apple never sold empty sleds), but in addition to that there are different versions for the PowerPC and Intel-based XServes.

In short, compatibility isn't guaranteed, especially if you're trying to use a PowerPC-based sled in your Intel XServe (the Intel ones specifically have '(Intel)' printed on the lower label.

Apple HDD Sleds for 2008 Xserve

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.