Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I not find files created with x-rite software in color sync folder?

Creating printing profiles for different papers.They are being stored in a hidden folder. Why?

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:56 AM

When you asked these guys:

http://www.xrite.com/top_support.aspx

what support did they give you?

10 replies

Jan 15, 2013 10:09 AM in response to sig

They said to search google for way to show hidden follow. It was a change in Mac OS. This is short version of conversation. Other than altering code in terminal there was much else I could do.

When I try to do search for them using file name, hidden files and file extention they still do not show up. Can see them in the printer menu when choosing profile to print.

PS: Even if I enter the file name to the letter in system search or using finder and even I limit the search I still get nothing.

Jan 15, 2013 10:35 AM in response to Kevin Wick

I don't believe they are being stored in a hidden folder.

Typically, these files are stored in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles. That's where mine are.

You may be looking for the Library directory in your home folder (abbreviated as ~/Library) which is hidden by default. It has been hidden since Lion. No matter though, because that's not where the profiles go. They go in the /Library that is at the root of your hard drive (default would be Macintosh HD/Library/Profiles.

If you want to look inside your ~/Library folder, then in Finder select the Go menu and hold down the option key, which will show Library. Then pick it in the list and you can navigate to the ~/Library/ColorSync/Profiles directory. I see a profile there but it's not the one I'm using; I think it's one I generated using the monitors calibration itself which doesn't use the X-rite software.

Jan 15, 2013 11:01 AM in response to William Lloyd

William,

They are not in either the system ~/Library/Colorsync/Profiles or User/Library. I can see other icc profiles I've downloaded.

I can only see one Library on Macintosh HD. I can not see a Library in the Users folder.

I can not find a way to show both Libraries if there are two Libraries in this OS.

I use colormunki photo for making paper profiles and I use NEC puck by x-rite to profile my monitor.

Jan 15, 2013 11:58 AM in response to Kevin Wick

There is no /Users/Library folder. There are exactly 3 library locations in OS X:

/Library (at the root of the hard drive)

~/Library (so in /Users/<username>/Library)

/System/Library

/System/Library is off limits to pretty much everything 3rd party so it shouldn't be there.

The profiles should be going somewhere.

If you are really stumped and want to find them, and know the name of them, then you can use Spotlight to find them. You'd need to do it from the command line. To do that, open terminal and type "mdfind .icc" (without the quotes). You'll get something like this:

Frygar:~ blloyd$ mdfind .icc

/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays/Cinema HD-00000610-0000-9232-0200-06E800000000.icc

(followed by scads more results). That will find every file that ends in .icc on your system.

Jan 15, 2013 12:41 PM in response to William Lloyd

I can only find two library folders out of the three that you are speaking of. It is my understanding that in 10.7 and 10.8 they changed where and access to certian files.

I'm just really stumped why it would hide files that are being used by more than application when I can put downloaded images in colorsync folder and they are fine.

Thank you for your help and suggestions

This is x-rites answer:

In an effort to resolve your support Case, the following comment has been added. Please review this comment, and respond as indicated.

Comment: Apple is hiding some files like the system Library, if you go to

their web site they will show you how to make them visable.

Thank you,

Kevin Freeman

Technical Support Rep - Level 1

This may be getting a littel more involved than I willing to get into!

Jan 15, 2013 12:50 PM in response to Kevin Wick

Jeez, what an answer :-/

Well, the library folder they're talking about that is "hidden" is the one in your home folder (~/Library).

As I noted above, you can go to the "hidden" library folder from the finder. Click "Go" in the menu bar WHILE HOLDING DOWN THE OPTION KEY. Between "Home" and "Computer" in the list you should see Library. Select it, and then navigate to ColorSync.

Why can I not find files created with x-rite software in color sync folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.