Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Search and Select Multiuple Songs Too Difficult - Help

My task is simple; I may have 100's of songs from one artist (or a cover band) but I want to quickly select a handful to either play or put into a playlist.

In the old days I would look at my entire library, search a keyword, and every song (artist, etc.) with that keyword appears. I could quickly Ctrl Click the ones I wanted and then drag them to the playlist. Now we have this clever sidebar that lists the songs. But now not only can I not see all of them at a glance nor just grab a handful; it appears that to select to add to a playlist or play them I have to scroll down the entire list and add them one-by-one.

I know how to change search parameters (artist, song, etc.). What I really want is to see my tens of thousands of songs like a file directory; to be able to manage it with a few views and clicks; not to have to wander down a list of thumbnail album covers/song titles with the risk that if you make one slip up the screen clears and you have to start the entire search over again.

I am probably missing something here because I am sure they wouldn’t have purposely tried to make managing the music so much harder and time consuming. Is there a way to get back to the old file directory format of keyword searching?

Windows 7

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 10:57 AM

Ctrl B to show top menu

View > Show Sidebar

View > Show Status bar

Click on black arrow in search and untick Search Entire Library

It should work like it used to

3 replies

Search and Select Multiuple Songs Too Difficult - Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.