Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I set up the zoom h4n with the ipad 4?

iPad, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:01 PM

13 replies

Feb 15, 2013 3:28 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Alfred DeRose

Thanks for the reply. It's disheartening as I thought it would work out and I do not want to purchase more gear if I can help it.

So, do I have options that exist to allow me to input vocals and guitar at the same time? Plus, I would like to be able to input stereo electronic drums to track with guitar and vocals. Are there products that I can do this with?

The folks at Focus Rite claim that the Scarlett 2i4 works via Camera Connection kit and powered USB hub.

Thank you for your help.

Feb 15, 2013 2:47 AM in response to brianrouth

any luck so far?

I am trying via this setup

iPad to camera connection kit, to powered USB hub, to Zoom H4n,

USB Audio I/F

So far, it does not seem to be working but I believe that folks have said that the H4n does work with the iPad as an interface

Feb 15, 2013 3:04 AM in response to brianrouth

This THREAD suggest iOS 6 tightened USB support for some devices run through the Camera Connection Kit. Apparently Zoom responded to one of the poster's inquiry, stating "it was just luck it worked in the first place" and that he shouldn't expect it to work.

You might be able to run it through an iRig, but then you would lose the stereo since the iPad headphone jack contains only a single audio input chanel.

Feb 15, 2013 6:04 AM in response to Community User

I'm not aware of a device that uses the 30-pin connector to deliver multiple-track stereo audio to the iPad. I have also not found reference to Focus Tire claiming the Scarlett 2i4 works with the Camera Connection Kit. My guess is, if it did, it probably has suffered the same fate at the Zoom hn4.

If you insist on vocals and guitar at the same time, you could always run everything through a mixer but in the end, you still have an audio signal coming through the headphone/mic jack.

I found this and it might be useful, but I have no experience with it so cannot say how well or if it even works: http://www.alesis.com/iodock

It might just be easier to run everything through the iRig (or similar like the Apogee Jam at http://www.apogeedigital.com/) separately to capture individual tracks in Garage Band.

BTW, Garage Band does a pretty good job of taking what you have and filling in the mix with other instruments.

Feb 15, 2013 11:04 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

I appreciate your input. Thank you.

The info from Focus Rite was via internet chat with customer service. I am leary of doing this since it is not "supported" by Apple which means I might be stuck with another piece of equipment that I can't use when Apple upgrades something else.

More than having vocal and guitar simultaneously tracking, I want to be able to track my V Drums in stereo. (By the way, Focus Rite iTrack Solo can record vocals and guitar simultaneusly into iPad and I believe is supported. It gets very high ratings as well. I would only be able to track drums in mono with it. Need to use a 30 pin adapter if you have lightening connection.) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iTrackSolo?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=PPC& utm_campaign=audio&utm_term=focusrite_itrack_solo

I have heard good things about iodock but I would have to get rid of my ipad case as it is not compatible with the dock and my pad needs protection from my kids!

I may go with iRig for guitar. For microphone, I think that I would need the iRig PRE for microphone wouldn't I?

What do you use, if anything?

If you have more suggestions, I welcome them.

Feb 16, 2013 2:03 AM in response to Community User

Like you, I worry about investing into hardware that isn't labeled to work with iPad and doesn't use the doc connector directly rather than through the Camera Kit.

The iTrack Solo looks great and does indeed seems to track a guitar and vocals simulataneously. That might be a good investment, even at the relatively high price of 160 USD. Since it is also advertised to work with a PC or Mac, you get dual use.

As I said before, I have no experience with iodock, but a case is a relatively easy thing to slip on and off when necessary. If it works for you, that's all that counts. Coincidentally, my daughter broke the screen on my iPad two nights past. :-(

The only hardware that I have personally used is the iRig (borrowed from a friend) for recoding into Garage Band and for testing a couple of effects and recording Apps - Amplitube and AmpKit. Amplitube's UI and is better in my opinion.

I will probably invest in my own iRig because its not expensive and it works well. You will need a pre-amp for the mic, so maybe the iRig PRE will work for you.

Are you using anything now?

Feb 16, 2013 3:18 AM in response to Alfred DeRose

Thanks for your reply.

I have a Griffin survivor case for my iPad and it's not very easy to take off and put back on. I'm sure you've seen these cases around. They are excellent to protect your iPad from children. I'm not sure how much more they protect the screen as they do have a screen cover but I'm not sure how much they protect from impact.

Since my last post, I discovered a product from Roland called Duo-capture EX. It is very similar to the FocucRite Scarlet 2i4. The difference is that on it Roland website they tout it as "for iPad" product. This product however also is connected to the iPad by the camera connection kit. I'm not exactly sure how Roland is able to tout it as an iPad product whereas Focus Right is not promoting the Scarlet as an iPad product on their web site.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/DUO-CAPTURE_EX/

I'm not currently using anything for audio input into my iPad. I would have liked to use my Zoom! The apogee jam looks like an excellent product as well but it appears to be a single input device like iRig but with better ratings.

Feb 5, 2014 12:21 PM in response to brianrouth

I have my iPad Retina 7.0.3 connecting to the Zoom H4N via a generic USB powered hub, and it's working great, using Multitrack DAW!! I read somewhere that iOS 7 relaxed the power draw restrictions that 6 put in place and decided to give it a try after trying to get to work a while ago.

I have yet to use anything other than the zoom's X/Y mics, but I'm pretty stoked this is working now. Let me know if I can give any more specific information to help anyone get this working.

Feb 9, 2014 9:21 AM in response to Rhumbaton

Rhumbation

That is good news.

Can you please share details of the set up?

Is it still going well?

Have you tried inputs through the zoom jacks yet?

Thanks

Apr 13, 2014 3:08 AM in response to Community User

This may be a bit late, but I just tested connecting the Zoom H4n to iPad (3rd gen) via a powered USB hub and it works well with the jack input of the H4n. Here's my connections:

1. Guitar to H4n input jack 1

2. H4n USB to powered USB hub

3. USB hub to USB port of the camera connection kit

Monitoring: headphone output of the H4n

I got it working as follows:

1. Open GarageBand in iPad

2. Connect as shown previously. As the last step, connect the H4n to the USB hub.

3. Select USB Audio interface and 44.1 kHz as the frequency from the H4n.

There may be other ways that work but this is the one I tested.

As a side note, I bought the iRig for guitar that plugs into the headset port of the iPad. The noise levels are just horrible and there was repeated crackling etc. even with low gain amp modelling in GarageBand. With the H4n, the noise steps in only with high gain and it's static hum, rather than crackling and popping.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.