Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What should I do if I dropped my iPhone in water?

I dropped my iPhone 4 in the toliet. Yes..I know...it sounds pretty lame. Anyway, I took it out right away and it still turns on and seems to work fine. I just want to make sure it will be okay.

iPhone 4, it still turns on and seems to work

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:54 PM

3 replies

Jan 15, 2013 12:57 PM in response to beccanicole

Turn your phone off & try don't try switching it on...doing so "may" short things out. You can "try" putting the phone in a ziploc bag of dried rice...Silica Gel Pacs work best... for 3 ~ 5 days, then hope things work. Apple does have an out of warranty replacement program, & the cost for an iPhone 4 is US $149.

Use the rice now, then get the Silica Pacs.

Feb 3, 2014 1:39 PM in response to whatheck

I thought I would post some replies to the 'wet, nonworking iphone' discussions to encourage others to wait a bit and to dry out their phones for a longer period of time. Last Wed. afternoon I got my iphone wet and thought it was fine because it still worked, however, a couple hours later it was dead. I made the mistake of recharging then and also started trying to restore, but got nothing but hardware start up error messages on the phone and the dreaded 4013 or 4005 in iTunes. I tried several times a day to restore with the same result. In between, I put the phone in a bag of rice. I think the advice elsewhere to power down and dry thoroughly is the best advice and I did not follow it because I already thought I was doomed.

I was going to go to Apple/ATT today - Monday - to get a new phone, but we had another snow dump so I'm housebound. With nothing to lose, I pulled the phone out of the rice this morning and it restored! I've lost a bunch of pix and some contacts that were not backed up, but I've not lost months of of spending on my 2 yr. contract without having a working phone.

So, if your phone gets wet, don't give up right away. It took almost 6 days for my phone to dry out.

Good luck to anyone else who has this problem.

What should I do if I dropped my iPhone in water?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.