Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Software Update says it is unable to connect -- what's wrong?

Hello,

I just unboxed and set up my new iMac 27". Used Time Machine to restore my backup from my old iMac and everything seemed to go well. Now, however, when I try to use Software Update, I get the 'spinning dial' and a message that says it is unable to connect, that I should check my internet connection. My web browser and e-mail apps work fine, and I am connected to the Internet through my WiFi router. Why would Software Update not work? I also saw (maybe related) that I am not able to sign into the Messages app -- when I provide my AppleID and password, it waits for a long time and then says 'unable to connect, check your network connection'. Has a system setting not been made properly?

Thanks...

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 27"

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 2:16 PM

1 reply

Jan 15, 2013 2:56 PM in response to Fredwood

Hi Fred, see if this helps...

Anonymous

Post subject: NSURLErrorDomain error -1100 in OS X 10.8

If you check for software updates using the App Store in OS X 10.8 and get "NSURLErrorDomain error -1100" the problem may be with your Software Update preferences. This is particularly likely if you were using a custom Apple Software Update server. To solve the problem, quit the App Store, move the following two files (if present) to the trash, restart, and only then rerun App Store updates:

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist.lockfile

http://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=6130

Apple Software Update says it is unable to connect -- what's wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.