Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PDF text gets distorted in Retina Preview

Hi

I dont know if its only me experiencing this, but on my new 13" Retina Macbook Pro lines of text in a PDF document get distorted as I scroll down while reading the document.

I attach some screenshots to illustrate what I mean. It is very irritating to me, and bothers my reading. Is it a problem in my computer or is it a common problem with the Retina Macbooks? Thanks a lot for any help

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

And And finally a photo when it is not distorted, but normal:

User uploaded file

On the first picture, lines 2, 7, 10, 12 and 13 are somehow distorted. In its the second part lines 1 and 5.

On the second picture, line 2, 7, 8 and 10 are distorted.

On the third picture there's no distortion.

Although, when I select the lines in Preview, they temporarily get fixed, until I start scrolling again, and then other lines get the same distortion. :S

Lastly, I only experience this problem when reading a PDF in either Preview or other PDF readers, but not in case of reading the PDF in Safari.

Is it a problem with my computer?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 2:37 PM

17 replies

Jan 21, 2013 6:01 AM in response to trball1

It happens to me all the time too. PDFs get mangled. But it also happens in Pages! It used to happen a bit in pages on my old non-Retina MBP, but now that I have a Retina display many PDFs are pretty much unreadable. All I can do is magnify them and hope for the best.

It really looks there is a problem with arithmetic when doing font calculations.

Thank you apple for the beautiful display, NOW PLEASE PAY ATTENTION AND FIX THE BUGS! I feel like I am using a beta product. The Retina is still very rough around the edges.

Feb 15, 2013 4:51 AM in response to trball1

I have the same problem with my macbook pro retina running 10.8.2. As soon as a scroll in a pdf in preview, the text on the edges get blurry and distorted.

Here you can see an example (see 4th & 5th line and also last line)

I also tried to delete the preview plist files but that did not change anything.

User uploaded file

Interestingly, this problem does not happen with the retina-enabled built-in pdf viewer in the Chrome browser.

Apple, please adress this problem, this is really annoying and I bought a retina mbp because I have to read lots of PDFs, which does not work properly.

Apr 26, 2013 3:11 AM in response to trball1

I just bought a 13" retina display mb pro and am noticing similar things with PDFs using Preview. some lines looks like they are "cut off" at the bottom and others are distorted or look like a scan line is missing. Some letters on the margins are also distorted. If I zoom in or out those lines get fixed, but sometimes others are broken. Has there been any progress on this? Its very annoying!

May 3, 2013 4:51 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

Adobe Reader has no Retina Support as of now.

Nonetheless it is clearly not a problem with Preview or the software used, but some issue with Apple's PDFKit, since you will experience the distortion in every software that is capable of reading PDFs, i.e. Preview, Skim, Pages, and so on

(see here:http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.macosx.skim.user/3716).

The only time when the problem is non-existent is in Safari and other web-browsers.

Apple, this is a very annoying issue please release an update to fix it ASAP!!

May 4, 2013 8:04 AM in response to trball1

more and more it looks like apple does not care much about the kind of people who read papers... they have a whole other new market that doesn't have much need for reading actual stuff. so much for 'geeks' sticking with the company till iOS came along. i called tech support about this and they need me to have applecare in order to be able to ask me to go eff myself.

Sep 22, 2013 9:16 AM in response to trball1

I have the same problem. It occurs when I scroll a PDF document and some text that appears on the screen is distorted. Distortion goes away after I select the text. The bug is pretty annoying - in the worst case I have to select the text with a mouse every time I scroll a PDF document, which is really distracting.

The problem occurs in Preview when reading PDF documents with "Continuous Scroll" enabled (View -> Continuous Scroll).

Hardware: MacBook Pro 13" Retina (purchased summer 2013)

Software: OS X version 10.8.5, Preview version 6.0.1.

Sep 22, 2013 10:43 AM in response to trball1

Just had a troubleshooting session with Apple support. Nice folks over there, but no solution. They have suggested to do SMC reset (hold Shift+Ctrl+Option + power button for 5 seconds while computer is off) and NVRAM reset (hold Cmd+Option+P+R while restarting computer until you hear startup chime twice). I did this, but nothing changed.

More details on the bug: it only occurs when scrolling horizontally. So in order to reproduce the bug, you have to zoom in first, to be able to scroll left or right. Scrolling vertically doesn't seem to distort the text.

It seems it has nothing to do with "Continuous Scroll" option, contraty to what I said in the previous reply. The mode can be Single Page as well - just zoom in, scroll horizontally back and fourth and the distortion will appear.

I wouldn't count on Apple to do anything about this at this moment. Hopefully things will work better in Maverics.

PDF text gets distorted in Retina Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.