9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2013 3:02 PM by syberknight
divington Level 1 Level 1

Hi all,

I use iphone 5. I found that a badge is not shown on the setting icon when a new ios update is released. Only way letting me know that there is an update is manual check update, i.e. go to setting->general->software update. I think, normally, the badge should present automatically on the setting icon everytime the update is released. Does anyone find this problem? How to solve this?

Thanks,

iPhone 5, iOS 6
  • Lawrence Finch Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

When was an iOS update released that you missed?

• divington Level 1 Level 1

Indeed, I have never seen the badge on the setting icon since I got this phone. It was ios 6.0.0 when I brought this iphone5. Then, (I think in October or November) the ios 6.0.1 was released but I did not see the badge on the icon. I knew that there was the update from my friend and I updated it. This time, ios 6.0.2 are released again and I still do not see the badge. I think it may have something wrong.

• lironl Level 1 Level 1

I have the same problem with my iPhone 5 and on my iPHone 3GS since the second update of iOS 5, maybe even the first one too.

When I got my new iPHone 5, the badge icon did come up automatically to show that iOS 6.0.1 was available.  However, after I restored my old iPhone 3GS's contents to the iPHone 5, the badge icon no longer showed, even though the update was still available.

• syberknight Level 2 Level 2

I have the exact same problem. Been searching Google for answers but have found none :-(

I upgraded from an iPhone 4s to 5 recently. I had the Settings badge show up right after I got the phone, but after I got home and did a restore from backup to get my 4s stuff over to the 5, then no more badge notification.

I can't find any settings anywhere to help with this.

Anybody got any suggestions/thoughts/fixes/etc?

• Lawrence Finch Level 8 Level 8
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X

Apple does not notify all 300 million iOS device owners at once; if they did their servers would crash with that many simultaneous downloads. So they stagger the notifications. However, you can still go into settings and choose to update.

@ Lawrence Finch

right, but would you say that waiting over a week from the time the update is announce that it should show up at some point in that time? what about a week'n'a half?

• lironl Level 1 Level 1

Agreed. I've waited over a week one time just to see what would happen, but still no badge.

• modular747 Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.iphone
    iPhone

The badge means that the update automatically downloaded to your device and is ready to install, giving you no choice about taking up space on your phone, and perpetually nagging to update even if you don't want to.  Is that what you're looking for?

FYI

i decided to wait (partly because i've just been so **** busy) longer than usual before installing this update, and lo'n'behold, around the 3rd week after it came out, my Settings Badge showed up!

sheesh.