Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air SSD Failure?

MacBook Air A1370 froze on an application so reset it by holding down the power button.

Now it shows the folder with a question mark icon - OS cannot be found. It can't find the recovery partition (command + r) and when booting from a Mac OS X USB install the installer is unable to find the SSD.

When opening it up in system profiler (when Mac OS X installed on a external drive) the SSD appears as an unknown device on the NVIDIA bus.

Unfortunately I was travelling at the time and didn't backup a few files which I require. Any other ideas aside from taking it into DriveSavers? A local tech has had a look at the SSD and it appears to be OK from a visual inspection.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 2:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 2:08 AM

Visual inspection means absolutely nothing. I have spinning hard drives and SSDs that look fine from the outside, a Visual Inspection, but still are broken.

As with SSDs compared with spinning drives once it fails there is NO way to recovery data from it. With a Spinner the platers can be taken out and placed in another drive, and or system, to retreive data from them. With an SSD I don't know of any service that can take the NAN flash memory chips out and get anything from it.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2013 2:08 AM in response to vectran

Visual inspection means absolutely nothing. I have spinning hard drives and SSDs that look fine from the outside, a Visual Inspection, but still are broken.

As with SSDs compared with spinning drives once it fails there is NO way to recovery data from it. With a Spinner the platers can be taken out and placed in another drive, and or system, to retreive data from them. With an SSD I don't know of any service that can take the NAN flash memory chips out and get anything from it.

Mar 8, 2013 8:47 PM in response to vectran

My daughter's Mcbook air did exactly the same thing about 4 months ago. I at first think it is a bad drive and figure I just need a new one. After I open the computer, and remove the SSD drive, I discover that the ribbon cable was loose from the small tapped connetor. The strange things is that it happen again last week after I put it back together TIGHT 4 months. Well, now at least I know this can happen. Just to be sure, she has the first MacBook air with the 60G SSD which looks like a hardive.

Mar 13, 2013 11:30 AM in response to vectran

Last summer I spilled water on my MBA A1370 and when I brought it to apple they couldn't do anything about it. I was told to maybe look for a data recovery company for further help. I live in Ottawa, ON so I searched for local data recovery Ottawa companies, and found 4. Guys I've dealt with were able to pull all of my data within 4 days off that blade SSD. Not sure what they did exactly and how, but it sure is possible. Cost me 1700 but it was well worth it. I back up my data religiously now... haha

Company is called HDD Recovery Services http://www.hddrecovery.ca

Sep 28, 2013 6:19 AM in response to vectran

I have had the same problem on my MBA 11" which I bought in November 2012. The SSD failed back in August after about 8 or 9 months of use. Luckily it was still under the one year warranty and didn't cost me any thing. Yesterday, about 7 weeks later, the SSD has failed again! Luckily It is under warranty for about a month more so I will not have to pay for the replacement, but this does not bode well for the future and gives me the impression that SSD are not reliable at all. I love the interface of the MBA, quick response, and all that, but if it is going to constantly crash and burn, those good features will not be enough to keep me coming back.

MacBook Air SSD Failure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.