Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod Touch 1G Battery problem

The iPod Touch was when plugged into the wall charger saying to Restore on iTunes but when i unplugged it it switched off.

When plugged into the computer it did not switch on or detect but i tried something. I plugged it into my JBL Radial dock and then plugged the JBL into the computer and iTunes found iPod and restored it and it syncs and boots and works perfectly, browsing and playing music and wifi etc.. all great.

But as soon as unplugged from Power (not computer) the iPod switches off completely. Sometimes battery says charged and sometimes it says charging.

Been plugged in for about an hour now but as soon as the cable is unplugged it switches off and won't switch on again.

Any ideas how i can fix or does it need a battery or faulty logic board ?

It is a iPod 1G 32GB with ios 3.1.3.

Thanks

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:12 AM

4 replies

Jan 16, 2013 7:38 AM in response to Dougal222

Likely a bad battery but could be other hardware problem too.

Apple will exchange your iPod for a refurbished one with a new batter for $79. They do not fix yours.

Likely not worth it for a 1G iPod

A third-party place like the following isless. Google for more.

iPhone Repair, Service & Parts: iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook Pro Screens

Replace the battery yourself. you can purchase one for about $10

iPod Touch Repair – iFixit

Jan 16, 2013 8:52 AM in response to lllaass

I also noticed this:

In the JBL Radial (which uses the Firewire lines to charge) the iPod switches on and loads up and works.

With a Wall Outlet (which came with my old iPhone 3GS) it switches on, gets to the Apple logo and after a few seconds switches off again.

So problems:

JBL Radial Dock (Firewire) = Switches on, Loads etc...

Wall Charger (iPhone) = Switches on and turns off again few seconds after Apple logo

Computer = Nothing / Black Screen Unless plugged in to computer through JBL Radial dock

When it is on everything works great but battery gives bad readings such as Charged and then Charging etc..

Jan 16, 2013 12:42 PM in response to Dougal222

I'm going to have a go replacing the battery (as they are cheap). Don't have anything to lose i guess.

I ordered a battery for the iPod 1st Generation 900mAH.

I followed a guide on how to replace the battery.

I managed to remove the back cover carefully without creating any damages at all to the cover, clips or screen.

I managed to dislodge the battery which was glued.

I am no expert at soldering but from the guide i saw, to replace the battery i should de-solder the 3 wires of the old battery and re-solder the new ones wires.

My question is this: Since I am not too confident with a soldering iron and don't want to damage the iPod, could i cut a corner and instead of de-soldering / soldering i instead cut the wires from the side of the old battery and join them to the ones of the new one ?

iPod Touch 1G Battery problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.