Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a difference between the Lightning to USB included with an iPhone 5 and the one sold separately?

I recently purchased 2 iPhone 5's and two Lightning to USB cables in addition to the ones that came with the phones. We tried to use the first L to USB with the power adapter and it wouldn't work. Then today I tried to use the second L to USB in my macbook pro and it came up with the USB too much power error, so I tried to use it with the power adapter and it wouldn't charge. So I got the L to USB that came in the phone box and it works with my laptop and the power adapter? It just seems weird that 2 out of 2 cables wouldn't work.

Items used:

MacBook Pro 17" Mid 2010

iPhone 5 (2 different ones)

Lightning to USB Cable (sold separate) (2 different ones)

Lightning to USB Cable (included in phone box)

iMac

5V USB Power adapter (2 different ones)

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:17 AM

6 replies

Jan 16, 2013 10:49 AM in response to NicholePoindexter

You need a pair of good cables, period. When I got my i5 and seeing what a battery hog it is, immediately got a second Lightning cable from an Apple Dealer. Both that and the one in the box have worked flawlessly.

So yeah, you've got excellent arguments for demanding a good working set. The fact that one gives the dread "too much power" issue is indicative of an internal short or damage.

Is there a difference between the Lightning to USB included with an iPhone 5 and the one sold separately?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.