Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is going on with Java? How do I disable if needed?

What is going on with Java. Should I be concerned? How do I disable Java on my Mac if needed?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:17 AM

Open Safari preferences, click on the Security icon in the toolbar, uncheck the Java option.

Helpful Links Regarding Virus Protection

An excellent link to read is Tom Reed's Mac Malware Guide.

Also, visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on malware.

For general anti-virus protection I recommend using ClamXav.

8 replies

Jan 16, 2013 12:51 PM in response to Rigman

Rigman wrote:

What is going on with Java. Should I be concerned? How do I disable Java on my Mac if needed?

Java 7 has been patched by Oracle to overcome the vulnerability that made headlines last week. Do you have it installed? If not, don't install it until/unless you are notified that something you need to use requires it. It did not come with Lion, but if you migrated from a previous system you may still have the older version.

Although Oracle has said that the latest issue did not apply to Java 6, Apple has chosen to disable it in Safari anyway. So for now I don't think you should be officially concerned and it probably isn't enabled on your computer, but almost everybody agrees that the smartest thing to do is to keep it disable it in all your browsers as Kappy has said. There are many vulnerabilities in it and tomorrow there could be an actual threat. If you find a web site that uses it and you must access it, only enable it for the period of time you are there and then turn it back off.

Jan 16, 2013 12:53 PM in response to Rigman

If you do not use Java then you can uninstall or disable it without any problems. However, if you do use Java then you might look into some options to keep it from being enabled at all times. One approach is to use ClickToPlugin (http://hoyois.github.com/safariextensions/clicktoplugin/) or a similar extension for Safari, Chrome, or Firefox, to prevent any plugins from running unless you explicitely allow them. This option will similarly block malicious Java applets, but still allow you to run other Java programs that you need.

The vulnerabilities are in the Java runtime (the engine behind the plugin), but the plugin provides a doorway to the runtime for Web sites you access, and is how exploits are being sent to people's systems. Therefore, blocking the plugin is the more critical step to take.

Jan 16, 2013 2:18 PM in response to Rigman

Don't believe anyone who says that Macs are 100% secure and malware free. There have been several notable instances where after hearing this many people have found themselves in the midst of a Mac malware outbreak (MacDefender, DNSChanger, and Flashback, just to name a few).

These attacks have been rare, and with "many people" being around 1 percent of all Mac users, for now this has been far of an issue than on other platforms, but security issues do exist for Macs.

Whether or not this warrants the use of special security software is up to you.

My recommendation is to keep a low-key and free malware scanner on your system, such as iAntivirus, ClamXav, or Sophos Home edition that can be configured to only run on-demand, and then should you feel the need use it to run a scan of your system every now and then. You can also use a reverse firewall like Little Snitch to monitor all outbound connections, which was key for many Mac users who found evidence of the Flashback malware on their systems when that outbreak occurred (just see here for the thread where many detected the suspect behavior: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3844172).

Since malware is still quite rare on Mac systems, it is debatable as to whether or not security software is necessary, but my stance is if configured as I described then there is very minimal chance it will adversely affect the system. I've configured numerous Macs with anti-malware utilities and have not seen any problems with them, so for the most part there should be neglegable impact (if any). Keep in mind some security tools are more intrusive than others, and include a number of scanning routines that are enabled by default, so each one has its own approaches that will need to be considered. The ones I mentioned here are very light-weight.

The thing that will keep your system safest is (besides "common sense" safe computing practices) to use plugin managers and ad-blockers to prevent Java, Flash, and other plug-ins and scripts from launching automatically.

Jan 16, 2013 3:34 PM in response to Rigman

Rigman wrote:

Thank you all for the help. Should I look into added security for my Mac. I was told when I bought it that it wasn't needed but I am skeptical and have been looking just ain't sure.

Here's an article that was pubished just this week by Mac Security Expert Rich Mogull Do You Need Mac Antivirus Software in 2013?

And our resident expert, Thomas Reed Macintosh Malware Guide.

Jan 16, 2013 7:03 PM in response to Topher Kessler

if you do use Java then you might look into some options to keep it from being enabled at all times. One approach is to use ClickToPlugin

You shouldn't rely on ClickToPlugin to block Java applets. It cannot block all Java applets. To quote from the ClickToPlugin site:

ClickToPlugin does not block

<applet>
elements. These elements are used to embed Java applets into web pages and launch a Java plug-in. The reason is that they cannot be blocked.

Jan 16, 2013 10:58 PM in response to Topher Kessler

Topher Kessler wrote:

If you do not use Java then you can uninstall or disable it without any problems.

How do you uninstall Java 6 without any problems? I've been sending everybody to your article last Spring "How to check for and disable Java in OS X" that says it's too hard and I haven't run across anything better than the disabling instructions you gave then.

Message was edited by: MadMacs0. Just noticed you posted an update tonight, but it still doesn't tell me how one would uninstall Java 6 if they really wanted to. Note that Oracle recommends removing older versions on their FAQ page and then sends people to their how to uninstall for Windows page.

What is going on with Java? How do I disable if needed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.