Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Corsair Memory on Mid 2009 Macbook Pro?

Hi,

I tried to upgrade my pitiful 2 GB memory to 8GB memory on my Mid 2009 Macbook Pro and (obviously, as I'm here) had a problem. The macbook wouldn't boot up afterwards - just got a black screen and an angry 3 beeps.

I've noticed some people had the same issue, but I don't think I've understood the reason. I mean, I have the correct merory, I'm sure - CORSAIR RAM DDR3 SO 1066 4GB x2 - and I've tried both cards individually and each time I get the 3 beeps. It's unlikely that both cards are faulty, so can anyone help? Have I bought the wrong memory?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

EDIT:

Current Mac info:

Processor 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 12:15 PM

9 replies

Jan 16, 2013 10:31 PM in response to busbcadd

You need to confirm what model Mac you have. Go under the Apple Menu and Choose "About This Mac" and then in the window that pops up click on More Info. In the window that follows will be something similar to Macbook Pro and then something in grey type below it as well as the memory. Please post both items.

A cursory search for 2.26 Gz Intel 2 Duo Macs for Mid-2009 shows they take PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM memory.

From the excellent MacTracker program:

MEMORY

Built-in Memory

None

Maximum Memory

8.0 GB

Memory Slots

2 - 204-pin PC3-8500 (1066 MHz) DDR3 SO-DIMM

But we cannot confirm until we know for sure that you have a 13" Mid 2009 Model.

Jan 18, 2013 1:03 PM in response to busbcadd

Hi,

I have the exact same problem, I wanted to upgrade my Macbook Late 2008 and bought Corsair Mac Memory DDR3 PC-8500 1066Mhz 2x4Gb but it won't work. Tested them together then seperately but all I have is a black screen and 3 beeps.

I did a lot of research to be sure I was buying the correct one so I have the right references. I'll do an exchange, I hope the next one will work.

Feb 16, 2013 7:02 AM in response to Taf123

My problem has been solved. Both memory sticks were defective, I did an exchange and the new pair works great so far. I have a friend who bought them as well and he had the same problem...

Your macbok will tell you what's the matter, 3 beeps = memory stick problem. 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5 beeps : each alert has its meaning. There's a thread about that, look here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1547

Other wise there's also PRAM/NVRAM reset, look here : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

The only solution that worked for me was an exchange. Good luck.

Jan 7, 2015 2:43 PM in response to busbcadd

I Know this is an insanely late reply but for people that still wonder about this. here are the steps I did to fix this issue.

1) shut off your device

2 remove old memory

3 place one stick of new memory (best to put it on bottom lower slot) place one stick of old memory

4 assuming u are going from 4 gb to 8gb of ram, REBOOTand check about this mac, it should say 6gb or ram, SHUT DOWN

5 remove old stick of ram only, and replace with the second new stick of ram.

6 Reboot and for me did a pram reset ( opt command p r before boot see above for better directions)

7 let it reboot to home screen check about this Mac should say 8gb of ram, if it says 4gb one stick of ram bad

note if step 4 does not boot correctly try booting with ur other stick of new ram, one stick could be bad

Dec 15, 2015 11:32 AM in response to bentleyonthego

So I've figured out what is really going on here.

One of the memory slots (top one for me) is slightly thicker than the crucial memory cards, so the gold pins aren't making a strong enough contact. The OEM memory (by Samsung) is slightly thicker than crucial... So it makes good contact.

Both of my crucial memory cards work in the bottom slot but neither work in the top slot, however both OEM modules work in the top slot.

this really *****!

Problem with Corsair Memory on Mid 2009 Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.