Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the LAN port of my Airport Express, which is being used to extend my wi-fi network from my Time Capsule?

I have a home wi-fi network based on a Time Capsule (3rd Gen.). I recently added a new "n" Airport Express to extend my wi-fi coverage to areas of my home where the signal has been weak or non-existant. The setup went very well (Airport Utility 6 on my MacBook Pro running Mtn. Lion) and was extremely simple and trouble free. Now I am attempting ot plug an ethernet device (internet bridge reciver from a wirelss weather station) into the LAN port. The weather station instructions say the device should communicate fine plugged directly into my router (not physically available where the device needs to be) OR plugged into a LAN port of an ethernet hub. My question is then: with the Airport Express in wi-fi extend mode, is the LAN port available to cable internet devices into the network?

Time Capsule-OTHER

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:13 PM

My question is then: with the Airport Express in wi-fi extend mode, is the LAN port available to cable internet devices into the network?

Yes, assuming that the setup went correctly.

Test by moving your laptop or other computer close to the AirPort Express. Temporarily, turn off the wireless on the laptop and connect it using a spare Ethernet cable to the LAN port on the Express.

See if you can get an Internet connection. If you can, you know the Express has been configured and is functioning correctly.

Since the Express is in bridge mode when it "extends" both ports become LAN ports, so if you have a second device that needs an Ethernet connection, connect it to the WAN port as it will work as well.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2013 1:13 PM in response to willyjp

My question is then: with the Airport Express in wi-fi extend mode, is the LAN port available to cable internet devices into the network?

Yes, assuming that the setup went correctly.

Test by moving your laptop or other computer close to the AirPort Express. Temporarily, turn off the wireless on the laptop and connect it using a spare Ethernet cable to the LAN port on the Express.

See if you can get an Internet connection. If you can, you know the Express has been configured and is functioning correctly.

Since the Express is in bridge mode when it "extends" both ports become LAN ports, so if you have a second device that needs an Ethernet connection, connect it to the WAN port as it will work as well.

Jan 16, 2013 1:33 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks for confirming that. The cabled device did not perform exactly as expected on startup. Knowing that it SHOULD have a connection, I started over, reconnecting all the cables. I think the ethernet plug into the LAN port of the Airport express was just not seated! On reconnection I got a more satisfying "snap," and the device is now going through its startup as its instructions suggest it should. So I just didn't have the connection made!

Should probably have redone all that first, but, after reading up on what I could find about extending wi-fi with this kind of setup, I became doubtful about whether it would work when it was not "cabled" directly to the router. Thanks for reassuring me that the LAN port SHOULD be working, it lead me to recheck the obvious!! The startup is said to involve extended download of firmware updates, so I can't confirm at the moment that it IS working, but it seems to be taking its time to do something that it didn't do the first time around.

Can I use the LAN port of my Airport Express, which is being used to extend my wi-fi network from my Time Capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.