Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artist search is broken for MP3 files in iTunes 11?

I am having a first world problem.

I am using iTunes 11.01 on 2 Macs - an old 2006 iMac running 10.7.5, and a new MacBook Pro running 10.8.2. Both exhibit the same odd behavior.

• If I add new MP3 files to iTunes (such as tracks from Amazon), artist name search may fail even though it is 100% certain that the artist is present in my library
  • If I add new AAC files, buy tracks from the iTunes Store or rip a CD to AAC, everything works fine
  • If I search for the album name(s), those always work correctly.

I can "fix" this by unchecking the search parameter "Search entire library", but that is not terribly satisfying. I cannot determine what is causing only certain file types to have this problem.

This is complicated by the fact that I use iTunes Match to coordinate about 20,000 tracks among my 4 devices (iMac, MacBook, iPhone, iPad).

Recipe:

1. Buy MP3 tracks from Amazon from an artist not presently in the library
  2. Add them to iTunes (the Amazon downloader does this automatically)
  3. Verify that the tracks play fine (they do)
  4. Search for the artist name

Expected result:

Artist name is found, album is displayed

Actual result:

Nothing is found

Bizarro exception:

1. Go to another device connected to iTunes Match for this account
  2. Search for the same artist as above
  3. It works

Visual example:

User uploaded file

In this example, I downloaded the new Bill Fay album from Amazon (hey, it was on sale!). As you can see, the search field is looking for "Bill Fay", and reporting that there are "No Results". But the album is plainly visible (and playing) in the album browser.

My hunch is that something about the new MP3 files causes the iTunes database to fail in some manner. The reason that other machines connected to iTunes Match work correctly is that the MP3 files are not present; only the "Matched" AAC files from the iTunes store and in iCloud.

Thoughts, y'all?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 4:34 PM

9 replies

Jan 17, 2013 12:47 PM in response to BradPDX

Maybe also related to this, but all of my music that was not bought on iTunes disappeared this morning.

I tried re-importing all my music that I did not buy on iTunes, but after it runs through the import process, they still won't show up anywhere.

If I go to the 'Playlists' section then I can see it does show the playlists that were imported in my Music folder, but nothing else.

If I search up an artist name that I didn't buy on iTunes, it shows up in the dropdown, but if I click on it, nothing happens.

This is a really weird issue, and I hope it's not a bug or at least I hope there's a fix for it. Just thought I'd throw this in here in case it's related.

Jan 17, 2013 1:29 PM in response to Steve Taylor1

@Steve - yes, I can do that, and I do. But my puzzlement is really about why only some music files - in this case, MP3s added by the Amazon Downloader - behave differently than others. The search should work in a uniform manner, but it doesn't.

After all, those tunes are as much a part of the "Entire Library" as any others. Odd indeed.

Jan 17, 2013 1:59 PM in response to Steve Taylor1

Older MP3 files in my library work normally, only brand new ones fail this peculiar test. I can try some other variations for fun a bit later, such as altering tags prior to adding them to the Library.

I have certainly tried changing the "Search Entire Library" setting, and it does work, albeit without the nifty "results as you type" display. That's fine, but my question is "why this odd behavior on only certain files?"

I am less interested in finding my MP3s than in understanding what is happening here to create this unwanted exception in the behavior of search.

Jan 17, 2013 3:13 PM in response to BradPDX

For no reason I can fathom, search for the very same album that was causing grief yesterday now works normally, with "Search Entire Library" turned ON.

User uploaded file

What happened in the interim? Not much. I took the MacBook from my office to my home, and thus changed networks, and I restarted the MacBook for unrelated reasons (I restart every few weeks just because I'm old and superstitious...). I did NOTHING to iTunes during that time.

Spooky.👿

Artist search is broken for MP3 files in iTunes 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.