Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Device Name Change

And I do mean "Device Name".

Trying to figure out how to change the device name for a bluetooth device. Now, I know how to change the display name. Select the device in Bluetooth Preferences, click the Gears, and select "Rename." Which is fine. But when you examine the info for the device, their are two names: A "Name" at the top and then a "Display Name."

How do you change the display name? I picked up a refurb trackpad and it still has the previous owners name, Aaron, in the Name block. I can change the Display name to John easy, but I am confounded by the device name.

I tried removing the trackpad, dumping the BT prefs in the library and repairing. Doesn't work.

I even pair it to a Win7 laptop, changed the name there, but Aaron remain when I take it back to the Mac.

So how do you change BOTH names? Is their a way to reset a Trackpad back to factory?

Trackpad-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:35 PM

Select the trackpad in the left column of Bluetooth system preference, click the gear at the bottom of the column, and select "Rename"

18 replies

Jan 17, 2013 5:50 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

I tried the update name function. It does nothing. Ii even tried loging as root to see if that helps. Nope. I can only change the display name. Not the name at the top. It is still a prior owner's name. Even tried to change it on a windows machine but that didn't carry over either. I want this guys name gone.

The Last Name Update has today's date. Any other ideas? There should be a way to erase the trackpad.

Feb 27, 2013 8:32 AM in response to Thanayu Thanakitworawat

Well I was tired of finding a fix online and ended up calling Apple Care…

Here's is what did the trick:

1. drag the "com.apple.Bluetooth.plist file" and the other 2 .plist files (com.apple.BluetoothXXXX.plist) to your desktop

2. shut down your Mac

3. turn it back on, and quickly press "command+option+p+r", HOLD until there comes the second and third "startup sound"

4. login and rename the magic mouse as usual under Bluetooth preferences

5. dump the old "com.apple.Bluetooth.plist" from your desktop into trash and move the other two .plists back to their original location

Well it worked for me~

Hope this works for those who couldn't find a clue on how to fix the issue (I tried editing the "com.apple.Bluetooth.plist" but couldn't fix it, that's why I had to call Apple Care, you might have to try this if you have no luck editing the "com.apple.Bluetooth.plist" file…)

Nov 1, 2014 4:03 AM in response to 68TARDIS

In Yosemite,

1. Open the Bluetooth Preferences by choosing either Menu Bar; [Bluetooth icon], "Bluetooth Preferences" or by selecting Menu Bar; [Apple icon]; System Preferences...; "Bluetooth"

2. Hold down the CNTRL key and select your mouse or other bluetooth device...

3. Choose "Rename"...

Not terribly obvious for grandma or first time apple users, but I applaud the clean interface.

Bluetooth Device Name Change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.