Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Post-SSD upgrade, any changes required to Time Machine?

I've just removed my optical drive and put in an upgraded HDD, with a new SSD in the boot drive location.

To do this, I cloned my old HDD, with the new, larger HDD and did a clean install of ML to the SSD, before using Migration Assistant to shift apps to that drive.

I've not yet reconnected Time Machine and was wondering if there's anything I need to do, to ensure that it's backing up both the HDD and the SSD?

Thanks for any advice!

GG

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:47 PM

Generally speaking, Time Machine only backs up the system drive (the drive named, by default, Macintosh HD). You can see exactly what Time Machine isn't backing up by going to System Preferences > Time Machine > Options. If a drive or folder is under the "Exclude" list, it won't be backed up.

When you reconnect the Time Machine drive, Time Machine will ask you if you want to "Inherit" the backups or start new ones. Since you cloned the drive I would recommend choosing to inherit, as this keeps your backup history and saves time backing up immediately afterward.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2013 6:47 PM in response to ggfromcp

Generally speaking, Time Machine only backs up the system drive (the drive named, by default, Macintosh HD). You can see exactly what Time Machine isn't backing up by going to System Preferences > Time Machine > Options. If a drive or folder is under the "Exclude" list, it won't be backed up.

When you reconnect the Time Machine drive, Time Machine will ask you if you want to "Inherit" the backups or start new ones. Since you cloned the drive I would recommend choosing to inherit, as this keeps your backup history and saves time backing up immediately afterward.

Post-SSD upgrade, any changes required to Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.