Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can you tell how many gb's on our a dvd?

I would like to know the capacity of my dvd discs. Unfortunately I no longer have the wrapping and there is nothing on the disc itself. So was wondering if I could insert a blank and see capacity that way. Tried it but don't see anything.

iMAC, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 5:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 6:01 PM

You should be able to insert a blank, then in the Finder select the DVD icon and do Get Info (either File > Get Info or command-I (the letter "i")) The Get Info window should tell you how much space there is on the disc.

Most DVDs (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW) are nominally 4.5-4.7GB unless you purchased dual-layer DVD media (eg DVD+R/DL) in which case they are nominally 8.5 GB.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2013 6:01 PM in response to designer_02

You should be able to insert a blank, then in the Finder select the DVD icon and do Get Info (either File > Get Info or command-I (the letter "i")) The Get Info window should tell you how much space there is on the disc.

Most DVDs (DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW) are nominally 4.5-4.7GB unless you purchased dual-layer DVD media (eg DVD+R/DL) in which case they are nominally 8.5 GB.

how can you tell how many gb's on our a dvd?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.