Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best way to achieve backup and storage by combining TC and external HD?

Hi,

By reading various posts I came to the conclusion that my recently bought 2TB TC (still in the box) needs to be combined with an external HD (not bought yet) if I want both network (WIFI) storage and safe backup.

Could someone please confirm what the best way of organising the two devices is and advice on the various steps I will need to take?

See below for some extra information:

I want to back up a Mac Book Pro with 250 GB HD and potentially a HP laptop (250 GB as well).

Can this also allow me to backup a iPad?

The storage will need to be accessible to both machines. It will mostly be pictures.

Back up should be as automated as possible, i.e. Time Machine is the obvious choice but I am open to other tools.

With regards to the external hard drive, are models like Western Digital Element or Seagatte Expansion suitable to stay plugged in the TC 24/7? Will they not overheat?

My initial idea is to use the WIFI facility of the TC box. I can use the WIFI facility of the modem/router is more appropriate.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Denis

Time Capsule (2TB)-OTHER

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 4:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 2:43 PM

The drives you are backing up are small. There is no real need to use external drive but you do need a backup if you store files on the TC.. for just backups that is not necessary.

You cannot partition the TC but you can create a disk image for using with data files.. ie the PC backup.

Read Q3 here http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

iPad is backed up to itunes.. or to cloud.. it is not able to see the TC drive at all without an app. You can manually copy files to the TC using filebrowser app but there is no auto backup software in the iPad to other than itunes.

It will mostly be pictures.

Back up should be as automated as possible, i.e. Time Machine is the obvious choice but I am open to other tools.

So you are not backing up, you are storing files.

You cannot access files in a Time Machine backup except by restoring them to the Mac. The PC cannot see them at all. That means you are not backing up.. you are storing files, even if just copies of the files. To do that you just copy via finder or windows explorer.

There are various scripting methods to ensure these photos are synced on all the devices. .but that is not what a backup software does.

If you want to use USB drive that is fine, they can stay attached 24/7. The disk will spin down generally when not in use.

They will not overheat.

But it is much faster to copy files to the USB drive plugged into the computer than on the TC.. the USB link on the TC is slow.. less than half the speed of the same drive on the computer.. much slower than the TC internal drive. It might be better to plug a USB drive directly into a computer.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2013 2:43 PM in response to dhorellou

The drives you are backing up are small. There is no real need to use external drive but you do need a backup if you store files on the TC.. for just backups that is not necessary.

You cannot partition the TC but you can create a disk image for using with data files.. ie the PC backup.

Read Q3 here http://pondini.org/TM/Time_Capsule.html

iPad is backed up to itunes.. or to cloud.. it is not able to see the TC drive at all without an app. You can manually copy files to the TC using filebrowser app but there is no auto backup software in the iPad to other than itunes.

It will mostly be pictures.

So you are not backing up, you are storing files.

You cannot access files in a Time Machine backup except by restoring them to the Mac. The PC cannot see them at all. That means you are not backing up.. you are storing files, even if just copies of the files. To do that you just copy via finder or windows explorer.

There are various scripting methods to ensure these photos are synced on all the devices. .but that is not what a backup software does.

If you want to use USB drive that is fine, they can stay attached 24/7. The disk will spin down generally when not in use.

They will not overheat.

But it is much faster to copy files to the USB drive plugged into the computer than on the TC.. the USB link on the TC is slow.. less than half the speed of the same drive on the computer.. much slower than the TC internal drive. It might be better to plug a USB drive directly into a computer.

Jan 18, 2013 3:02 AM in response to LaPastenague

Hi LaPastenague,

Thank you for your post.

For practical reason the USB HD is very likely to be connected to the TC. Since the volume of data involved is limited. Can I get away with using the USB HD connected to the TC?

One way to organise all this can be:

TC: data storage + disc copy

USB HD partition 1: TM backup (as I understand that TM "fills up" the drive it is on a partition is required)

USB HD partition 2: Copy of data stored

Would this work?

Thanks in advance.

Denis

Jan 18, 2013 3:19 AM in response to dhorellou

Yes, I think this will work fine.

Your problem will be copying data from the TC to USB partition for data backup.. that will have to be done from the computer and will be extremely slow..

The TM will fill the drive but if you have data inside a disk image it will not grow into the image area..

If you do backups over wireless it is slow enough the USB speed will not bother you.

What is the best way to achieve backup and storage by combining TC and external HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.