Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External USB 3.0 Drive Won't wake up after going to sleep on Mountain Lion

Hi Everybody,

I just purchased a Western Digital 2TB Caviar Black hard drive and a Thermaltake Max 5G USB 3.0 enclosure, I installed the drive in the enclosure hooked it up turned it on formatted it and started my time machine backup. The backup finished and everything was fine until the drive went to sleep. After the drive goes to sleep, when I'm trying to wake it up the hard drive stops responding and the finder locks up like it is trying to talk to the drive, but the drive is not responding. If I restart, everything works fine until the external drive goes to sleep again, restarting seems to be the only resolution, has anyone experienced this? Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 7:05 AM

2 replies

Nov 24, 2013 4:50 AM in response to ShufflezMan

Same issue on my 2012 Mini. I have a WD 1TB drive in a Macally enclosure. Worked OK with FW800 but with UISB3 will not always wake up when TM wants to do a backup. I then have to turn it off and power up the drive again. I wish I could keep the HDD from sleeping but WD has a built in sleep function that I cannot control even though I have unchecked the go to sleep function in my Mac preferences energy menu.

External USB 3.0 Drive Won't wake up after going to sleep on Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.