Skip navigation

Sharing data between computers (PC/Mac) without loss

246 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 9:02 AM by Kirby Krieger RSS
Goso Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 17, 2013 7:47 AM

Sounds easy, but it ain’t. At least for Adobe "Bridge" which I like using between inDesign and Photoshop and hate using between my studio and the client. My business relies on the structuring, sorting and commenting of thousands of pictures, between me and my client. The exchange of data via web or CD has to be without loss when it comes to added data. A. stars (1 to 5)   B. high-light colours for files      C. written capitions for a file.

With Bridge, when I toast a file on my iMac and open it again from the cd, all that is transfered is the star "treatment". Colours and captions are gone. But the killer for Bridge is it’s price. Bridge comes only in a Creative Suite which goes for upwards of 600 $tonkers, a commitment I cannot ask my clients to take.

• So here is my Q: Does Aperture store this data on both Mac and PC, is the exchange possible between different desktops.

•• Secong Q: can I use Aperture just like I am using Bridge. i.e. as a Bidge between inDesign (where I can open any pic per shortcut in Bridge) and Photoshop?

•••Third Q: If Is there an Aperture Light which might be completly sufficient for my customer to do the commenting and ranking.

Hope all is well for me, cheers and thnx – Goso

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), + iPhone + iPod
  • Kirby Krieger Level 6 Level 6 (11,555 points)
    Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2013 9:02 AM (in response to Goso)

No.  Aperture runs on OS X only.  You can export to various formats, but then you and your client will be using other software, which seems to be outside the use you are asking about.  Furthermore, Aperture is a single-user application.

No.  Aperture is a self-contained image database.  You can round-trip images to external editors, but doing so creates new files.  This is useful when Aperture is your primary image repository.  It does apply to your situation.  Aperture should be thought of a photographers tool for managing a photo workflow from camera to published photograph.  It is not a graphics platform for creating or storing graphics files.

No, there is not.

Good luck.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.