Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bretford Cart "Not Charging" iPads

We have a Bretford cart with 20 iPads that used to work just fine, but now when you plug the iPads in, they say "not charging" up in the top right hand corner. Can't think why this is. There is power to the cart. I have green lights for banks 1-10 and 11-20, but all the iPads say "not charging". I unplugged them all and tried plugging them in one in at a time, but it still says the same. Ideas? The cart is probably less than a year old. I can sync and add apps, but not charge devcies. Ideas??

iPad, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 10:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 11:58 AM

I believe Bretford carts like the one you have can't synch and charge at the same time (even if you have your MacBook or whatever device you have your iTunes library on to sych with closed (lid is shut), as long as the USB cable is plugged into it, it thinks it's synching iPads). Go ahead and unplug the USB from the laptop/device and then check your plugged in iPads to make sure the Not Charging message is gone - they should be charging now.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2013 11:58 AM in response to jwyliegs5

I believe Bretford carts like the one you have can't synch and charge at the same time (even if you have your MacBook or whatever device you have your iTunes library on to sych with closed (lid is shut), as long as the USB cable is plugged into it, it thinks it's synching iPads). Go ahead and unplug the USB from the laptop/device and then check your plugged in iPads to make sure the Not Charging message is gone - they should be charging now.

Dec 27, 2013 8:39 AM in response to jwyliegs5

What is very odd is ours charged and synced fine with the Mac Book plugged in all the time for the past 2 years up until recently. I had a cart in today that would only charge 8 & 21-30, ripped it all apart to check all usb connectors and plugs. I put it back together and 11-30 were charging fine. I started searching Google posts to see if there were any suggestions and found this post. I unplugged the Mac Book USB cable and 1-10 immediately lit up. The only changes to the cart was a recent update to Mavericks so we could support IOS7 with the updated Apple Configurator. Thanks for the post Diamond Island Consulting and AlaskaFromQc

Bretford Cart "Not Charging" iPads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.