Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fraud

I am having trouble installing a program that I recently purchased. It now looks as if I'm being asked to supply my computer's serial number. This seems like a harmless request; on the other hand, I've never been asked for this before. Is there any possible danger in disclosing your computer's serial number?

iDVD 7.1.1 (1150)

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 10:12 AM

3 replies

Jan 17, 2013 10:36 AM in response to Niku

I've encountered a couple of programs over the years that require the serial number as part of the copy protection. Such programs key themselves to the serial number of the computer so that you can't install the program on any other system. If the program you're trying to install was acquired from a legitimate source and not from some shady web site somewhere, there's probably little harm that could come from entering in the computer serial number, but you have doubts, contact the developer of the program at issue and discuss the matter with them.

Regards.

Jan 17, 2013 10:51 AM in response to varjak paw

Thanks for the reassurance. Since posting my inquiry, I've been using my time to "Google" the subject, and the worst thing I've found is that people in possession of stolen goods might want to use my serial number to help them make the sale (don't ask for details). I believe in being cautious, but I'm no longer concerned about becoming a victim. Thanks for reinforcing what I found with Google.

fraud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.