6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 4:53 PM by Kirby Krieger
Brando Malibu Level 1 (0 points)

I have a new MacBook Pro with Aperture 3 and an older G5 with Aperture 2. I downloaded photos to MacBook and then transferred them to my G5. The same photo has different White Balances- Temperature & Tint. How can that be? Does having different Apertures and OS systems effect it? Same photo should show the same numbers no? Thank you Craig

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.8), White Balance
  • Frank Caggiano Level 7 (25,715 points)

If the images are RAW I can see the changes in the raw processing having this affect.

It would be similar to when there is a RAW update and Aperture asks if you want to re-process the images in your library using the new RAW processing code.

• StephenM Level 1 (110 points)

Unfortunately, base RAW handling may change from version to version. That is what you are seeing. Apple, and Adobe for that matter, may make changes to RAW handling from version to version to better handle situations. The OS version has no effect, it is strictly the version og Aperture,

• Kirby Krieger Level 6 (12,510 points)

Are they based on RAW Originals?

RAW is not a standard.  It describes a family of proprietary sensor data formats.  As such, it is constantly be changed.  Apple keeps up with these changes (mostly) by updating its RAW converter, which is part of OS X.  It is, in fact, likely that Images based on RAW files will not look the same in different major versions of Aperture -- or, perhaps, that Images will look the same but with different parametric settings.  (It makes sense to me that the settings may be different in an attempt to produce the most similar Image.)

(You might check the RAW Fine Tuning Brick to see if it shows any difference.)

• Brando Malibu Level 1 (0 points)

Thanks that was what I was thinking. So even just transfering the original from the Aperture 3 to Aperture 2 will change things? It reprocesses the RAW file that has already been processed in Aperture 3?

Apple's RAW converter is part of OS X (and not part of Aperture).  It is "system-level support".  So the question is about which OS version, and within the OS, which of the RAW updates have been installed.

In Aperture, you are given an option to re-convert Images if you have a newer RAW update than that under which the Image's Original was converted.  I don't know what happens if you go backwards.

StephenM wrote:

The OS version has no effect, it is strictly the version og Aperture,

I'm pretty sure it's the other way 'round.  It may be that Apple updates it's RAW engine (which is in the OS) when it releases a new version of Aperture, but, none-the-less, the RAW engine is system-wide.