Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a newMacBook Pro with Aperture 3 and an older G5 with Aperture 2. I downloaded photos to MacBook and then transferred them to my G5. The same photo has different White Balances- Temperature

I have a new MacBook Pro with Aperture 3 and an older G5 with Aperture 2. I downloaded photos to MacBook and then transferred them to my G5. The same photo has different White Balances- Temperature & Tint. How can that be? Does having different Apertures and OS systems effect it? Same photo should show the same numbers no? Thank you Craig

Aperture 3, Mac OS X (10.6.8), White Balance

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 12:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 12:41 PM

If the images are RAW I can see the changes in the raw processing having this affect.

It would be similar to when there is a RAW update and Aperture asks if you want to re-process the images in your library using the new RAW processing code.

6 replies

Jan 17, 2013 1:45 PM in response to Brando Malibu

Are they based on RAW Originals?

RAW is not a standard. It describes a family of proprietary sensor data formats. As such, it is constantly be changed. Apple keeps up with these changes (mostly) by updating its RAW converter, which is part of OS X. It is, in fact, likely that Images based on RAW files will not look the same in different major versions of Aperture -- or, perhaps, that Images will look the same but with different parametric settings. (It makes sense to me that the settings may be different in an attempt to produce the most similar Image.)

(You might check the RAW Fine Tuning Brick to see if it shows any difference.)

Jan 17, 2013 4:50 PM in response to Brando Malibu

Apple's RAW converter is part of OS X (and not part of Aperture). It is "system-level support". So the question is about which OS version, and within the OS, which of the RAW updates have been installed.

In Aperture, you are given an option to re-convert Images if you have a newer RAW update than that under which the Image's Original was converted. I don't know what happens if you go backwards.

I have a newMacBook Pro with Aperture 3 and an older G5 with Aperture 2. I downloaded photos to MacBook and then transferred them to my G5. The same photo has different White Balances- Temperature

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.