Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't resize certificate template

Morning all, Im very new to this ( just came over from the dark side ) my problem is I can't resize the fancy certificate template. It seems too be big for an A4 page by default, which can't be right. When I click on the outside border the box lines seem to be ghosted with small crosses on them and wont resize. I must be missing something here.

Cheers.. A

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 2:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 3:07 PM

Arap,

Little "x"s in the corners and on the sides indicate that the object is locked. Ararnge > Unlock to cure this.

Jerry

8 replies

Jan 17, 2013 10:47 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Sorry fellars, Classic Certificate is correct. Thanks Jerrold, Arrange > Unlock worked. Re printer margins, this is a brand new computer and I've never had a printer connected. When I open a new Pages then open a new Classic Cert from the template, View > Show layout. The edges of the Cert appear outside of the edge of what appears to be the page but now that I look at it closley it seems to be margins. Inspector > document, set the margins to 0. Check all the other printer settings I can find and it still looks the same. Maybe I have to connect a printer but the two I have here are not USB. Still scratching my head.

Arap

Jan 18, 2013 4:35 PM in response to Arap183

Arap183 wrote:

Still can't get rid of the invisible margins. I saved the cert as a pdf and emailed it to my IBM clone then printed it out on an old deskjet and the right hand side is cut off, though there is plenty of room on the page.

Too hard basket for this one?

Arap

That's a printer problem, not a Pages problem. It's good that you had the backup printer.

Jerry

Jan 18, 2013 11:29 PM in response to fruhulda

Ok, so are the printer settings of the printer that was connected to the computer that the template was created on embeded in the template? Because this computer has never had a printer connected. Its a bit odd that apple would release a template that can't be used on a full page. Do you think it will change when I connect a printer?

Cheers.. A

Jan 18, 2013 11:47 PM in response to Arap183

I don't know about the original templates. I know that when you print from your own computer Pages will ask if you want to save the changes, at least in Snow Leopard and earlier systems, and if you say Save the printer information will be saved into the document. That can change if you use another printer.

I don't know how Pages templates behaves when you don't have used an printer but you do have printer driver installed on the computer by default even when you don't have a printer attached or specifically not installed the printer when the system was installed.

Check in the Page set up what options you have for getting a borderless page. Here are my options. Those with an triangle to the right have both with and without margin options. I have installed a printer driver for my Epson printer.

User uploaded file

I don't know what happens with a PDF but my experience is you have to always check in printer preview that the settings for printout is what you want. Other computers doesn't care for what you have saved in a Pages document but print by their own settings. I think Pages is primarily meant to be printed from the computer you created the document on. If you don't you have to check the settings on the new computer.

Can't resize certificate template

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.