Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Incoming emails take a long time on OS X Server

I had Lion Server 10.7 and recently upgraded to 10.8 in hopes that this problem would go away but it hasn't.

I find that emails (particularily but not limited to incoming emails) are very slow to arrive. Last week, a client emailed me in the morning about our appointment later that day... I didn't receive it until that evening. My wife apparently emailed me three times today and I've yet to get them... one was a response to an email that I sent her.

Has anyone else experienced this? Has anyone heard of this type of thing happening due to a poorly set up DNS?

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 2:41 PM

1 reply

Jan 17, 2013 5:40 PM in response to lightspeedguru

probably grey-listing.

Mail from new senders is delayed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylisting

Its very effective in fighting spam, but does introduce delays which many find unnaceptable

If you would like to disable it

Change the setting via Terminal

sudo serveradmin settings mail:postfix:greylist_disable = yes

Then activate the change

sudo postfix reload

Incoming emails take a long time on OS X Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.