Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook suddenly running incredibly slow-- I've tried a lot..

About a month ago my white Macbook Unibody (late 2009) started running slow. Programs that would once open in ~5 bounces (on the dock) are now taking over 20. When I type, the words wont appear on the screen until a couple seconds later when it will shoot out 8-10 words all at once. Applications like powerpoint are hardly usable because it's so slow, I start to get the beach ball whenever i click anything. Itunes movies skip.. The picture will stop moving and the dialog will continue (this happens every few seconds and last 3-4 seconds, so movies are unwatchable).

Here are My Stats:

OS X 10.8.2

2.26 GHx Intel Core 2 Duo

4 GB 1067MHz DDR3

337 GB Free out of 500 GB HDD

I have repaired Permissions, Verified Disk, restarted in safe mode, reinstalled the operating system, cleared junk files.. Theres nothing on my desktop. Nothing eating up CPU or Memory in activity monitor. S.M.A.R.T. status is Verified.

I appreciate any help very much!

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 3:58 PM

You appear to have conducted a lot of research already, but have you tried the following?

Despite what Apple Hardware Test may conclude, if the problems still exist in Safe Mode or when using a different User Account, you may still have a hardware problem that AHT did not detect. Schedule a Genius Bar visit to have your Mac evaluated:

Genius Bar Reservations: http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

The following may help, but if the same behaviour exists after exhausting the above suggestions it is unlikely to reveal the problem. Try it if you wish - it's easy enough.

Apple Support Communities contributor etresoft wrote a very useful app to quickly gather certain system information that may help point to a cause of this problem. Go to his website, download and run EtreCheck:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

The rainbow "wait cursor" will appear for a brief moment as it collects its data. Do not be concerned about anything that says "Problem" or "failed".

Copy and paste its output in a reply.

EtreCheck was designed to remove any personal information (such as your computer's name and serial numbers) but if you see anything that looks like an email address or any other personal information that should not be divulged to others, please delete or obscure that information when you post the reply.

When you are finished with EtreCheck, quit the program. It occupies very little space, and you can keep it or drag it to the Trash as you wish.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 17, 2013 3:58 PM in response to Simonster2

You appear to have conducted a lot of research already, but have you tried the following?

Despite what Apple Hardware Test may conclude, if the problems still exist in Safe Mode or when using a different User Account, you may still have a hardware problem that AHT did not detect. Schedule a Genius Bar visit to have your Mac evaluated:

Genius Bar Reservations: http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

The following may help, but if the same behaviour exists after exhausting the above suggestions it is unlikely to reveal the problem. Try it if you wish - it's easy enough.

Apple Support Communities contributor etresoft wrote a very useful app to quickly gather certain system information that may help point to a cause of this problem. Go to his website, download and run EtreCheck:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

The rainbow "wait cursor" will appear for a brief moment as it collects its data. Do not be concerned about anything that says "Problem" or "failed".

Copy and paste its output in a reply.

EtreCheck was designed to remove any personal information (such as your computer's name and serial numbers) but if you see anything that looks like an email address or any other personal information that should not be divulged to others, please delete or obscure that information when you post the reply.

When you are finished with EtreCheck, quit the program. It occupies very little space, and you can keep it or drag it to the Trash as you wish.

Jan 31, 2013 4:52 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you for your help. I have confirmed that the problem is persistent when using another account, as well as when I boot using safemode. AHT (extensive test) found nothing wrong. I assumed that one of the RAM chips was bad, so I upgrades my 2x2gb that came on the device to 2x4gb. Problems that i stated in the first "post" continue to occur even though I upgraded that RAM. Here are my stats from etresoft:

Hardware Information:

MacBook - model: MacBook6,1

1 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2 cores

8 GB RAM

Video Information:

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M - VRAM: 256 MB

Startup Items:

CoreDuoTemp - Path: /Library/StartupItems/CoreDuoTemp

FanControlDaemon - Path: /Library/StartupItems/FanControlDaemon

System Software:

OS X 10.8.2 (12C60) - Uptime: 0 days 4:9

Disk Information:

TOSHIBA MK5065GSXF disk0 : (500.11 GB)

disk0s1 (disk0s1) <not mounted>: 209.7 MB

Macintosh HD (disk0s2) /: 499.25 GB (333.58 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted>: 650 MB

MATSHITADVD-R UJ-898

USB Information:

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Apple Inc. BRCM2070 Hub

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Apple Inc. Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad

FireWire Information:

Kernel Extensions:

Problem System Launch Daemons:

Problem System Launch Agents:

[failed] com.apple.mrt.uiagent.plist

Launch Daemons:

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist

[loaded] com.tegrity.daemon.plist

[loaded] com.wdc.WDDMservice.plist

[loaded] com.WesternDigital.WDSmartWareD.plist

Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.lexmark.bmspecificlaunchd.plist

[loaded] com.lexmark.lxknetlaunchd.plist

User Launch Agents:

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.925793fb327152fd34795896fa1fb9ffa268b2a852256fe56609efa3.plist

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist

[loaded] com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.helperTool.plist

[loaded] com.macpaw.CleanMyMac.trashSizeWatcher.plist

User Login Items:

SpeechSynthesisServer

StatusMenu

Popup

3rd Party Preference Panes:

DivX

Fan Control

Flash Player

Flip4Mac WMV

Perian

Internet Plug-ins:

AdobePDFViewer.plugin

CouponPrinter-FireFox.plugin

DirectorShockwave.plugin

DivXBrowserPlugin.plugin

Flash Player.plugin

FlashPlayer-10.6.plugin

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin.plugin

Google Earth Web Plug-in.plugin

iPhotoPhotocast.plugin

JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

OfficeLiveBrowserPlugin.plugin

OVSHelper.plugin

QuickTime Plugin.plugin

Silverlight.plugin

Unity Web Player.plugin

User Internet Plug-ins:

Move-Media-Player.plugin

Bad Fonts:

None

Top Processes by CPU:

4% iTunes

3% WindowServer

2% usbmuxd

2% EtreCheck

1% fontd

0% mds

0% loginwindow

0% imagent

Top Processes by Memory:

126 MB iTunes

123 MB Mail

123 MB firefox

98 MB mds

77 MB Google

74 MB WindowServer

49 MB Finder

33 MB Dock

25 MB CalendarAgent

25 MB loginwindow

Feb 1, 2013 1:54 AM in response to Simonster2

If the problem exists in Safe Mode, as well as when using a new User Account, the system modifications that I would usually suspect should be inactive. Most notably WD SmartWare, which is not required to use their drives, and has been found to cause problems.

CleanMyMac has been known to remove essential system files that cannot be restored without completely reinstalling OS X.

I suggest you use OS X Recovery and use Disk Utility to repair the disk. Make note of any errors it finds. After that, reinstall OS X due to the uncertainty associated with CleanMyMac. Reinstalling OS X will not erase any of your user accounts or data. Remove CleanMyMac according to the developer's instructions. Run Etrecheck again to ensure it is completely gone.

Feb 28, 2013 3:37 PM in response to John Galt

John,

First of all I wanted to thank you for your help. I did find out that the hard drive was bad, luckily I had the extended applecare so they covered it. It was very interesting though because I had my machine backed up with time machine, right when the new hard drive download the operating system and the machine uploading my time machine back up, it found TONS of new updates for the computer which were not showing up before I upgraded the hard drive.. Very Strange as I check probably 2-3 times per week for updates and it was telling me there weren't any for a few months. Finally, disk utility verified the SMART status of my hard drive, but the first thing that apples software picked up when I took it in was that the SMART status was not verified. Luckily, the computer is running great now! These late 2009 polycarbonate unibody macbooks are amazing machines! When I get the cash I'll put an SSD in so I don't have to deal with this again (hopefully)! Once again I appreciate the help that you gave me, and if anyone else is out there struggling with similar problems (After you done the necessary troubleshooting) swap out that hard drive!

Thanks again!

Cheers

Macbook suddenly running incredibly slow-- I've tried a lot..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.