Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I convert .mkn files I created in Lion

how do I convert notepad .mkn files I created in Lion to something I can past into Word.

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:01 PM

15 replies

Jan 18, 2013 9:07 AM in response to HRA

Notepad may be a Windows program but it writes .mkn files. All I know is when I try to open the program I get the following message: "You can't open the application "Notepad.app" because PowerPC applications are not longer supported." I have also just found out that AppleWorks programs are no longer supported in Mountain Lion.

Feb 22, 2013 2:22 AM in response to HRA

Hi HRA.
NotePad is NOT referring to the windows program.

I have previously worked as a tech with Mac Os, and worked for a long time to track down this issue.
The .mkn file is related to a really obscure software suite published by MacKiev. They bundled "World Book Encyclopedia" suite of software probably came on your computer and includes a "World Book Notepad."
(.mkn I think means mackiev notepad file).

There is currently a newer version of "World Book Notepad" that is not based on PowerPC architecture for sale of the Mac App store for $0.99. It should be able to open your .mkn files, though I would urge you to immediately save your documents as another file type once you open them.

I had previously looked for .mkn files online and they were pretty cold-case-ish...as in even the mighty google does not know of them.

Feb 23, 2013 10:38 AM in response to Csound1

Well if it matters guys, Csound's comment about not being able to run pwoer pc applications was technically correct...

And to be fair, I consider this to be a hyper-rare issue. There are TWO people on the entire internet that have ever listed something associated with this file type. At all. And this is one of them.

There is not a single reference to .mkn file types even on the site of the manufacturer of the product -_____- '

Mar 6, 2015 6:09 PM in response to HRA

Cloakedbug is correct: the Notepad application was bundled in MacKiev's World Book Encyclopedia folder of applications, and was pre-loaded software on the last of the PowerPC iMac G5 computers. Like the original poster, i used Notepad a lot, and now need to transfer .mkn files to a new Intel-iMac running Mavericks. ( I guess that makes me the THIRD person on the entire internet, eh? 🙂.... BTW, besides Notepad, the World Book Atlas app was very cool, with the spinning globe in fullscreen 3D...)

Copied and pasted from the Notepad help menu:

Notepad can save files in four different formats:

• Notepad Document (.mkn) is the default format for Notepad documents and saves documents with both pictures and text. Notepad .mkn documents support page breaks, page numbers, and headers and footers. As a result, files with the .mkn extension can be opened only in Notepad.

• Notepad Text (.mkt) is a simple text format. It can be opened in any other word processing application but does not retain any formatting.

• Rich Text Format (.rtf) is a standard format that can be opened in most word processing applications while retaining text style, alignment, and color. Saving your Notepad document in this format allows it to be read in most word processing applications, such as Word, AppleWorks, and TextEdit.

• Rich Text Format with attachments (.rtfd) is a format that allows you to have pictures and other media elements attached to the file. Saving your Notepad document in this format will allow it to be read in TextEdit and the file will retain text style, alignment, color, and all attachments.

how do I convert .mkn files I created in Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.