Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does anyone know of a good speech recognition program for Mountain Lion?

I purchased a speech recognition program in 2008, MacSpeech Dictate. I only used it for a short period of time, but problems with my hands have started up again. MacSpeech Dictate does not work on OS X 10.8. I wondered if there are any speech recognition programs available for this operating system? i found "Dragon Express" in the App store, but it was rated low, and apparently crashes with 10.8. I cannot beieve that Apple would forget about those with disabilities. I have activated the speech commands window and have experimented with it, but it seems limited for browsing the web. I wondered if there was a way to create my own commands using the Speech Command application in Mountian Lion? Any ideas anyone? Have I missed something with Speech Commands on 10.8?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:22 PM

2 replies

Jan 17, 2013 6:44 PM in response to alitafmmd

The built in dictation is pretty good. The only real downside is that the conversion is done server-side so you have to dictate, then wait a bit, and then dictate, and then wait a bit.

The gold standard is dragon dictate. I think it's a few hundred bucks but it's fantastic software. I belive the Nuance engine underneath it is used by the Mountain Lion dictation feature, though.

Does anyone know of a good speech recognition program for Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.