Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does iphoto reduce file size of pitcures when rotated?

Hello

I'd like to import photos from the camera directly into iphoto 09 to then be able to easily delete and rotate images. Once rotated i would like to export and save the good pitcures onto an EHD for storing and then delete them off iphoto to free space on my internal HD. (I normally keep all of my digital photos on an external hard drive in folders.... Each year has a folder, within that each month has a folder, etc. i like this method as it is organised.)

My question is: I have noticed that when a pitcure is rotated in iphoto the pitcure's file size reduces. Eg. When imported from a camera FINDER shows the file size of a jpeg pitcure to be 2.7MB. When i import it into iphoto the file size is still 2.7MB. But upon rotating the pitcure the file size reduces significantly to 1.7MB. Even when exported as "current" image, or drag and droppped, the file size is still the reduced 1.7MB

Why does iphoto reduce file sizes upon rotation?

Pitcures rotated in Preview do the same thing. I never had this issue with PC's. Perhaps my question should be how do i easily view and rotate pitcures with no loss of quality on a MAC?

I have done web searches with the question but I can't seem to find the answer... any help is greatly appreciate!

Thanks

Mac OS X (10.6.8), iphoto 09

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 5:23 PM

7 replies

Jan 17, 2013 6:15 PM in response to Meli9

where are you seeing this file size change? The only time you have a "file size" on a photo in iPhoto is when you export it and that file size is ttoally determined by your export parameters

Exporting "current" is exporting a preview - export as JPEG using maximum quality and the file will be much larger

LN

Jan 17, 2013 6:58 PM in response to LarryHN

Hello LN,

Thanks for a prompt reply.

I can see the file size in numerous ways:

Within iphoto:

I can see it if i control+click and "show original file" and thus it takes me to the original pitcure in iphoto library. ( i dont play around in the library, i understand its concept)

Outside of iphoto:

I also have photos on an EHD or in a pitcures folder on my Mac and i can see the file size of these in the FINDER window.

Or i can right+click on a pitcure and select "Get info" which also shows me the file size.

ORIGINAL PROBLEM:

It is only once the photo is rotated on my MAC, whether it be imported into iPhoto and rotated or opened in Preview and rotated (which makes me resave changes under a new file name) that the file size is changed. And this i can check by following the same processes above (except if it is still in the iPhoto library i have to control+click and select "show file" as it is now a modification of the original).

I can understand that a pitcures file size would change if the pitcure itself is modified/edited eg. auto red eye correct, or change colour hues, saturation etc. But a simple rotatation?

I have played around with the different options when Exporting to no avail. When i Export "current" or as JPEG using 'low, medium or high quality' the file size is still reduced from the original size. When i Export as JPEG using 'maximum' quality the file size is INCREASED to 4.4MB. (Which brings me to ask the question: Does this then mean the quality of the photo is lessened because the resolution has increased?)

Anyways all i wish to do is download, sort through, delete crap photos and rotate the ones that need it, on my Mac so that i can then save and/or back them up on an EHD. But with no loss of image size.

Help?

Thanks

Jan 17, 2013 10:54 PM in response to Meli9

The only way to export at the same file size as you imported is to export at the Original setting.

Remember that the file is not the Photo. It's just a container for the photo. When you export at Original you're saying 'Put my photo into a box that has the same characteristics as the original.'

When you export at any other setting you're creating a new file which contains your Photo. You can then decide which level of compression is applied in that file - high medium or low - and that's why the file size is different, and also why it's possible to export into a larger file than the original one. You're just putting your photo into a box that's less compressed than the one your camera created. So it has no impact on the "quality of the photo".

Regards

TD

Jan 18, 2013 3:07 AM in response to Yer_Man

HI TD

Thanks for joining the discussion.

The problem with exporting at 'Original' setting is that it exports the exact photo that was imported. It does not as you said " Put it in a box with the same characteristics as the original" . It IS the original, as no rotation or edits that may have been applied is kept. It is unrotated, unedited. It is the original photo.

I would like it to have the same charactersitics ie. file size, as the original pitcure but the photo is just rotated from landscape to portrait.

I dont understand how something so simple and has been done on PC's for years is impossible on a Mac. I truely regret purchasing a Mac on so many levels.

LIke i said, all help is greatly appreciated. Hopefully i can sort this out....

Jan 18, 2013 7:02 AM in response to Meli9

If you export the Original, then you get the Original. Not the Original (rotated). Just the Original. That's what you asked for.

I would like it to have the same charactersitics ie. file size, as the original pitcure but the photo is just rotated from landscape to portrait.

It can't have the same characteristics simple because we have no idea what level of compression your camera uses. What's important is that it is the same photo, rotated. Same dimensions, same colour space etc etc etc. That's what matters.

Think of it this way: it allows you to virtually retake the shot, the right way round, and decide for yourself what level of compression you would like. You have more choice. You can decide to take retake the shot and save it at better quality than your camera.

What are you using the photo for? Subsequent editing... go for lower compression levels. Uploading to the web... go for higher.

Meanwhile, your original is alsolutely untouched. That's called lossless processing, and that's what iPhoto does.

There are apps that do basic lossless rotation for the Mac - search on MacUpdate

iPhoto doesn't do that. It offers richer alternatives.

Moving from the PC to the Mac (and indeed vice versa) involves a learning curve.

Jan 18, 2013 7:23 AM in response to Meli9

There is nothing to sort out

the rotated photo is not the original photo - if you export the original you get exactly that - if you export a different photo (rotated or othewise) you get a new photo with the specs you set when you export - its size is not going to be identical to the original because it is not the original

and once again if you look there is a program that Old Toad recommends that will losslessly rotate photos prior to importing to iPhoto

LN

Why does iphoto reduce file size of pitcures when rotated?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.