Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where else is the "Encrypt iPad backup" setting stored?

iTunes has appeared to turn on / tick the "Encrypt iPad backup" setting all by itself. How can this happen? Where else can it be set?

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 11:41 PM

6 replies

Jan 18, 2013 4:52 PM in response to Steve Taylor1

Thanks Steve. That's the place where it became ticked all by itself and I don't know the password!@#$

There is a bit more history to this problem. Once upon a time we had our first iPad 2 (A) and I did tick the option to encrypt the the backup with a password. However when the iPad (A) screen became cracked we got another iPad 2 (B) to replace it. When attempting to restore the original iPad 2 (A) backup onto the new iPad (B) we came across the password problem not knowing what it was. We got around the unknown password problem by manually backing up iPad (A) using a great bit of software iExplorer and was able to restore onto iPad (B). Learning from our previous mistakes we decided never to "Encrypt local backup" ever again.

Our new iPad (B) was working fine with no tick against "Encrypt local backup".

However some time later I think iTunes or maybe iCloud (if iCloud stores it too? unknown???) has gotten confused between iPad (A) backups and iPad (B) backups and restored the tick to "Encrypt local backup" onto iPad (B).

I could go through the process to manually backup iPad (B) using iExplorer again and then setting up iPad (B) as a new iPad and restore the manual backup but I'm worried the the tick to "Encrypt local backup" will return!

Sep 26, 2013 3:28 AM in response to ajn3806

A few months pass with iPad (B) living in fear of not being able to restore a backup due to an unknown password that was never set with iPad (B). Well the screen of iPad (B) is now cracked (teenagers!@#$) so I wish to remove the tick for good this time.

I'm in the process of backing up App data using iExplore again (great software!) and will restore to a new iPad.

I've checked iCloud, via Control Panel / iCloud and there are no devices backed up. I've now removed all backups from iTunes of iPad (A) and iPad (B). My fingers are crossed, so the tick should never come back...

Where else is the "Encrypt iPad backup" setting stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.