3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 2:00 PM by lllaass
bluedragon700 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have tried using a different computer, 3 different USB cables, uninstalling everything apple and installing itunes back. But nothing works, i come up with an  error 9 almost 90% of the the time, and the other 10% is an error 1611. i have had this ipod since 2 years and nothing happened untill now, please help


iPod touch (3rd generation), iOS 5.1.1, 32GB