Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

From Aperture to iPhoto

On an iMac 10.8.2 I use both Aperture 3.4.3 and iPhoto 11 version 9.4.2 (710.42), and I wish to burn a slideshow to iDVD.

1- If I understand correctly this can only be done in iPhoto, as AP3 can't export to iDVD and a slideshow cannot be exported nor shared to DVD (= certainly not mentioned in the Aperture helpfile "Workflow for Creating a Multimedia Slideshow Presentation", stages 9-10).

2- Anyway, after importing those pics in iPhoto I notice that all Aperture's 'keywords' and 'captions' are left out in iPhoto. Nearly all of these information items are not included in iPhoto's own 'info' that is asking me to "add a description"- again...

Is this correct? Is there a workaround?

(I presume this question is better handled on this forum than by the Aperture Support Community)

Thanks for any support on these 2 points.

Peter

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 5:00 AM

8 replies

Jan 18, 2013 7:09 AM in response to pdrcourious

I use both Aperture 3.4.3 and iPhoto 11 version 9.4.2

Okay.

If I understand correctly this can only be done in iPhoto

You don't understand correctly. You can export your slideshow from Aperture (or iPhoto) to the Finder. This results in a QuickTime movie. Then create a project in iDVD and add the movie to it. All the 'Send to iDVD' command in iPhoto did was automate this process. This command is removed in later versions of iPhoto as iDVD is now discontinued. Therefore there is no advantage to making the slideshow in iPhoto.

Anyway, after importing those pics in iPhoto I notice that all Aperture's 'keywords' and 'captions' are left out in iPhoto.

a: How are you getting those images from Aperture to iPhoto?

b: More importantly, as iPhoto can open the Aperture Library (if you have the versions mentioned above) why are you moving those images at all?

Regards

TD

Jan 20, 2013 6:11 AM in response to Yer_Man

a: I just dragged the images from their AP3 map to my iPhoto library.

b: I did 'a' because I needed that specific map only (163 pics from 1967), of which I wanted to make a DVD-slideshow copy of for my former travelmate (on visit from Spain after so many years). If I am not mistaken, sharing the same library results in creating double pics, which at this stage I want to avoid.

Anyway, your remarks on exporting that slideshow from AP itself as a QTmovie is already helpful.

Regarding your reaction I started all over again from within Aperture, encountering already two problems:

1- The title on the first slide is on a fixed place. How to move it, or other 'Text'-related items, around (to the bottom, or more to the left/right)?

2- None of the slides show my 'keywords' info the same way as shown at the bottom of those images in their library map.

In the 'Default Settings' the 'Text'-section mentions 10 choices (from "none" to "Title"), but not 'keywords' specifically. And yet, these keywords are a very welcome - sometimes even necessary (!...) - reminder to us of what these pictures were about and where they were shot back in 1967.

Therefore, the display of that information on the slideshow itself on the occasion of a DVD playback is very desirable. Can this be done?

Jan 20, 2013 7:15 AM in response to pdrcourious

If I am not mistaken, sharing the same library results in creating double pics, which at this stage I want to avoid.

You are mistaken. They are not "sharing the same library". They both can open the same library. No duplication at all.

a: I just dragged the images from their AP3 map to my iPhoto library.

And that's why your keywords and so on were not included. Dragging like that gets your Aperture Previews only. If you want to get all your metadata out of your Aperture Library you need to use the Export command, being sure to make a preset that includes the metadata. For more on accessing files from Aperture see here:

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4681

Sorry but I have no idea what you mean in your last paragraphs.

Jan 21, 2013 5:47 AM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

Sorry but I have no idea what you mean in your last paragraphs.

This is what I meant:

- 1: how to move the title around: higher, lower (bottom)?

User uploaded file

- 2:

- image in the AP3 Library showing the keywords at the bottom that I want to preserve

in the slideshow on iDVD or DVD:

User uploaded file

- image in the slideshow WITHOUT those keywords:

User uploaded file

So the question is whether or not a slideshow can display the keywords while playing the iDVD/DVD on my HD TVset (16/9). If so, which specific export settings to observe?

From Aperture to iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.