Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto images missing from Time Machine

I can't find my iPhoto library in Time Machine.

I deleted my iphoto library from my Macbook recently.

When I go to previous Time Machine back ups, I can't find the library.

I have tried searching:

Library.photolibrary

dsc_ (which is the start of the filename for the photos in that library)

I can locate my iPhoto library, but when I open the enclosing folder there are no folders with images.

Is there anyway that I can locate the missing photos?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 7:11 AM

12 replies

Jan 18, 2013 7:30 AM in response to pabloscrusie

Sorry, but I am confused by your question:

First you are saying:

I can't find my iPhoto library in Time Machine.

but then:

I can locate my iPhoto library, but when I open the enclosing folder there are no folders with images.

Do you mean, you found the backup of your library, but the folder containing the library does not have image folders? That should not be a problem - an iPhoto library will look like a single very large file in the Finder. The image files with your photos should be inside this package. Or have you looked at the package contents and there are no image files inside the library?

Have you tried to restore the iPhoto Library you found on your TimeMachine Backup to your Pictures folder? Doeos iPhoto not work with the restored library? Is that the problem?

Regards

LΓ©onie

Jan 18, 2013 8:00 AM in response to lΓ©onie

Sorry for the confusion, I definitely can't find my iPhoto library.

When I search for 'iPhoto' or 'iPhoto library' in Time Machine it only comes up with an icon for the iPhoto application. If I click on the icon, it shows me a quick view of the application with information about it's current size etc (250mb).

When I select that icon and choose the option to restore it to my computer, it only restores the iPhoto application and not the image library.

iPhoto is still installed on my computer, but the image gallery is empty.

It seems to be working; when I plugged in my iPhone I could still import images into iPhoto.

Instead of using the search engine in Time Machine, is there a path that will lead to the location of the iPhoto library.

E.g. User > Library > iPhoto Library

Jan 18, 2013 10:08 AM in response to pabloscrusie

If you are having iPhoto '11, the iPhoto Library should have the filename extension ".photolibrary"; you could search for that.

By default your iPhoto Library would have been installed in your "Pictures" folder:

User > Your Home Folder > Pictures > iPhoto Library.photolibrary.

So to restore the iPhoto Library, select your "Pictures" folder in the Finder, before you enter Time Machine and dive into the Time Tunnel.

User uploaded file

Regards

LΓ©onie

Jan 18, 2013 3:56 PM in response to lΓ©onie

It is that bright light at near death - he is "Old" Toad afterall

πŸ˜πŸ˜•πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜€πŸ˜•πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜•πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜•πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜€πŸ˜•πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜•πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜•πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜€πŸ˜•πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜•πŸ‘ΏπŸ˜€

LN

iPhoto images missing from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.