Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bug? Menu option has disappeared!

Apologies for a duplicate posting, I started a discussion yesterday under the heading "Can't join tracks in iTunes 11" but there have been several discussions under that heading, and most of them have apparently been resolved by directing the poster to the new menu location. That's not my problem. I found the "Join Tracks" option in its new location and imported the first disk of an audiobook, but with every succeeding disk I've tried the menu option has disappeared. It's not greyed out -- it just doesn't show up! Here's what I just posted to the old thread:

This appears to be a bug in iTunes 11 -- the menu option for "Join Tracks" doesn't appear under the "Options" menu. I'm not looking for the "Advanced" menu; I know the menus have changed in this new version. "Join Tracks" did appear for the first audio disk I tried since the upgrade, but doesn't anymore. I really use this feature of iTunes -- I listen to audiobooks on my iPod all the time, and it works best if I can join the tracks before importing.

I've tried with 4 separate audiobooks from the library -- the menu option doesn't appear with any of them.

I tried editing info on some of the CDs, thinking I might find whatever it is that triggers the menu option to appear. No luck so far, and I don't have the time to do this kind of experimentation, sorry!

Please help!

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:41 AM

11 replies

Jan 20, 2013 7:11 AM in response to superQuest

Had the same problem that started with one CD and then has never been resolved on any successive CD's. My solution was to download an app call Audiobook Builder from the app store. It joins the tracks and puts the file in books in my iTunes library. My situation is even more complicated by the fact that my main machine is a new iMac w/o a drive so I am ripping on my older Mac Pro then home sharing single files to my new machine, then using audiobook builder. In am more than curiouis as to what the trigger was.

Jan 21, 2013 9:20 AM in response to superQuest

Hi,

This is odd as joining tracks works fine for me. I tried both audio discs & music CD's. On first attempt, I did not highlight tracks to be joined and when I selected Options on top right hand corner, I only got options either to submit track names or get track track names. However once I selected the the apprpriate tracks, I now got option to join the tracks.

I find it odd that Itunes 11.0.1 works fine for me but many others have reported anomalies such as this!!

Have you tried deleleting Itunes plst file then relaunch itunes?

Jim

Jan 25, 2013 3:48 PM in response to superQuest

Thanks, Peepsula, for letting me know about the app (I hadn't considered the App Store for a solution). I'm still hoping Apple will provide a bug fix, though. The app would be convenient, and save me quite a few steps, but I'd prefer not to pay for a solution when, if iTunes worked as it should, I could get what I need using it . . . .

And Jim, I did try deleting the iTunes.plist file and still couldn't get the menu option. It's a puzzle -- and I sure wish I was having your experience with the new iTunes.

Jan 25, 2013 4:15 PM in response to superQuest

One question, Jim -- in your experiments, did you import the CD after joining the tracks? I was able to join tracks and import one CD, but lost the menu option on the second CD. In a related discussion, the person reported losing the menu option after joining tracks and importing the first 3 CDs of an audiobook.

Clearly, the menu option is meant to appear conditionally. I'm guessing that somewhere in the process of importing a CD something can set the flag that keeps it from appearing. And then it stays set.

Jan 26, 2013 12:08 AM in response to superQuest

Hi,

When I have joined tracks, I have always joined at time of import. I use this method on most of my classical CD's. I have only one Audiobook with 6 discs.

I have never been able to join tracks after import - don't know if this was ever possible. The only way I have been able to do this is to use an App called "Join Together".

It is strange that you have this problem!

Jim

Jan 26, 2013 7:50 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

That's the way I do it, too, Jim. When you said you had "tried both audio disks and music CDs" I wondered if you meant you had just been experimenting to see if the menu was showing up and allowing you to join tracks, and hadn't continued to import the disk. I believe that sometimes something happens in iTunes 11 when the CD is imported (which we do immediately afterward) that can set the flag to keep the option from appearing with subsequent disks.

Bug? Menu option has disappeared!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.