Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

website issue with osx server and hosting

so i had a website hosted from my osx server and i had bought the domain name from godaddy it worked great but i desided to instead of hosting it on my osx server to just host it on godaddy so i turned to server off and added the domain to my godaddy account hosting and now it works but one problem all computers can veiw the website but mine. i think it has somthing to do with the fact that my mac was the one hosting it. but if i go to my browser and go to my wesite i get a error but than i go to any other computer and it works great help please

iPhone 4S, iOS 6

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:07 AM

7 replies

Jan 18, 2013 10:14 AM in response to joshakafergie13

You are referencing the DNS service running on your machine. Two possible solutions. Open Server.app and stop the DNS service. Now, if your machine is doing more than hosting web sites, then this may cause more hard than good. Second option, go to System Preferences > Network. Select your network interface and review the servers listed in your DNS settings. My guess is you will see 127.0.0.1 or your machines IP Address as the first DNS server. Remove this.

The issue is that when your machine asks for www.yourdomain.com, it is asking itself for the location and the answer is your own machine.

Jan 26, 2013 10:20 AM in response to joshakafergie13

A couple ideas

check our /etc/hosts file, you might have an entry for your domain.

sudo pico /etc/hosts

do you see any entries for your domain? If so:

edit the file by navigating with the arrow keys, delete the line

with your domain. Hit ctrl-x when done (enter 'y' to save the change)

Clear your DNS cache

dscacheutil -flushcache

Try a different DNS server, go into your network settings (In System Preferences)

Go to Ethernet or Wifi (whichever you are using), click Advanced and under the DNS tab enter:

Make sure no entries are ABOVE it.

If none of this works, send the results of these commands:

cat /etc/hosts

cat /etc/resolv.conf

dig +short mydomain.com (replace with your domain)

The results of these should point us in the right direction.

Jeff

website issue with osx server and hosting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.