Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

found iPad 2 solution for WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK

My security setting is WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK on my modem/wirless router with Time Warner Cable. IPad does not have an option to select this security setting when attempting to connect to a WiFi network. I could connect my iPad by WiFi on some ocassions (selecting WPA or WEP on the iPad). However, I would lose connection after about 5-10 minutes. I have been having this problem for about 3 months. I spent a couple of hours on the phone yesterday with Time Warner and we think we "stumbled across" the fix (instead of actually knowing we found it). The tech noticed that the setup on the Time Warner modem/wireless router had the box for Active WPS checked. After the Time Warner tech unchecked Active WPS within the router's setup, the iPad starting picking up the WiFi signal. The iPad has now functioned for a full 24 hours without a problem or shutdown!

Please alert your techs and post this info on your website. When I talked with Apple techs in the past, they had no known solution to this situation and said that Apple simply did not support WPA-PSK or WPA2-PSK. The Time Warner tech also said that "he thinks" (but isn't sure) Apple's designation of WPA Enterprise equates to what others call the "old WPA" (or simply WPA) and what Apple calls WPA, others actually refer to as WPA-PSK (the newer WPA).

iPad 2, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 1:30 PM

5 replies

Feb 12, 2017 4:45 PM in response to pec2b

I have had an iPad 2 for a few years and today it would not join my WPA protected wireless home network

It had always joined in the past

When I remove the security on the wireless router it joins the network. Both iPhones (6 and 7) join the WEP protected network.

You idea seeemed great, but still will not join the network when I do what you suggests.

Any other ideas?

I have reset network settings, updated the iPad , and turned it on and off.

Bothering works - any help would be greatly appreciated

Aug 1, 2013 8:39 PM in response to redhead2013

Hope you found a solution before now, but if not, try this:

Go into Settings, click on Wi-Fi and pick "Other" in the Network section.

Type your Network name in the name field (Caps do seem to matter), click on security and check WPA2.

Click the "Other Network" button to go back, input your password, click "Join".

You should now be good to go.

found iPad 2 solution for WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.