Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I downloaded MacKeeper, and it told me my computer was at "serious" level for viruses...HELP what can i do? do i even trust it? or is it tricking me into buying their product to get rid of the "viruses"? It just scanned my computer it said.

I downloaded MacKeeper, and it told me my computer was at "serious" level for viruses...HELP what can i do? is it right? or is it tricking me into buying their product to get rid of the "viruses"? It just scanned my computer it said. I would have to pay money to download it to get rid of my dangerous viruses. There were three levels, good, dangerous, and sever. It told me mine was at sever!!!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 1:08 PM

5 replies

Jan 18, 2013 2:11 PM in response to macuser787

Are you seeing something like this?

User uploaded file

Note that I got that screenshot from a copy of MacKeeper running on a clean install of 10.8.2, with absolutely nothing else installed. That should tell you exactly how "critical" these issues are. 😉 It's a ploy to get your money. Uninstall the software ASAP.

If you're concerned about malware, see my Mac Malware Guide, and if after reading that you want anti-virus software, only use one of the ones it recommends.

I downloaded MacKeeper, and it told me my computer was at "serious" level for viruses...HELP what can i do? do i even trust it? or is it tricking me into buying their product to get rid of the "viruses"? It just scanned my computer it said.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.