8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 4:43 PM by elistu
elistu Level 1 (5 points)

Safari won't add bookmark; Mac Pro,Safari, OSX 10.8.2 ?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Linc Davis Level 10 (192,365 points)

Are you synchronizing Safari with iCloud?

• elistu Level 1 (5 points)

No. I have problems with Safari and ML now; later for iCloud and Time Machine. A few months ago when I had ML

installed, the bookmarks behaved normally, but today I tried to add to bookmark menu and nothing happened.

From the community I saw a fix to delete caches-db. That didn't help either.

Triple-click the line below to select it:

~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Show Info

from the contextual menu. An Info dialog should open.

Does the dialog show "You can read and write" in the Sharing & Permissions section?
    In the General section, is the box labeled Locked checked?
    What is the Modified date?

The modified date rang a bell. After 4 rapid upgrades from Tiger to ML I found 3 previously imported  lists

on another HD ( Mac Pro has 4 HDs). One of the old imported Safari lists had been activated (the old lists were

almost identical and over looked in my panic state). After I found the latest and proper Safari app. and got back

on line the bookmarks were not broken : in effect I had made a new entry into an older list. Now to get rid of the

outdated Safari lists. Can I simply control-delete them without a problem?

Thanx muchly for your gracious help, L.D

If you're asking whether you can replace the file with a backup copy, the answer is yes. Just quit Safari before doing so.

I want to keep the Safari lists on ML now and get rid of the old (BU) lists. How can I delete them safely so

this action won't occur again?

Deleting backups is not something I would recommend, but if that's what you want to do, it's your privilege.

These BU lists were kept in case ML needed to be modified. I just about got it all done manually now and I

don't think they will be of any help - - just confusing.  You've been a big help to me and I apprectate it, L.D.