4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 3:14 PM by suntea
suntea Level 1 Level 1

I have three partitions on my HD at the moment, and I want to create just one HD by unpartitioning.

However, I don't have a separate hard drive or USB or anything that could hold the amount of stuff I have, so I was wondering if it's possible to unpartition in Disk Utility without backing up my files?

I really hope so, because I can't really be bothered backing it up...

Mac OS X (10.5.8)
Solved by Niel on Jan 18, 2013 3:00 PM Solved

Deleting a partition will erase its contents. If you don't currently have enough free space on the first partition to hold the entire drive, you must create a backup. Even if you do, you should create a backup, as that drive may fail at any time.

(74760)

• Niel Level 10 Level 10

Deleting a partition will erase its contents. If you don't currently have enough free space on the first partition to hold the entire drive, you must create a backup. Even if you do, you should create a backup, as that drive may fail at any time.

(74760)

• suntea Level 1 Level 1

I was afraid of that..
    But thanks for the quick reply!

• steve359 Level 6 Level 6

My humble opinion ...

When delete a partition you alter the boot sector.  Things can go wrong and you *can* lose mapping of all partitions.

I would not call backup in this case a "bother".

• suntea Level 1 Level 1

Yeah fair enough steve359. I have no experience in the matter so I think it was a fair question though.

But see, for me it kind of is a bother because I need to go out and buy a hard drive to back it all up on.