Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Grave key for non US keyboards

Hello.

I know of a major new feature about pressing the "grave" key while operating on clips on the primary timeline. It does not seem to work with an Italian keyboard, where that key is missing. On FCP7 I was able to modify the keyboard layout to "US" in order to be able to use all the keyboard shortcut. I can't find that feature in FCPX. Can you help me?

Regards

Fabrizio D'Agnano

Rome, Italy

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 4:07 PM

13 replies

Jan 18, 2013 4:23 PM in response to dastoelk

The problem is that on a non US keyboard there's a completely different symbol in that position. A backslash. I don't have a US keyboard as I live in Italy and the Mac's sold here have an Italian keyboard, that's mapped differently. I had the same issue working in FCP7, but there was a feature inside the application that allowed me to switch to US and have all of the keyboard shortcuts available. I can't find it in FCPX.

Jan 19, 2013 11:13 AM in response to totemsub

I'm using a German keyboard (=no grave upper left, but ° and ^ 😉 )

User uploaded file

and pressing cmd-< creates that colorful cursor to shift clips without its connections.

sorry for the blurry pic - but my usual screen-grabbers don't catch the modified cursors ...

it's a photo from my dusty monitor 😁

probably an Italian keyboard is different ...

with my IP adress, I have no access to the Italian Manual but you

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/mac/10.0.6/#ver90ba5929

should find in the listed keyboard shortcuts under 'Editing' a shortcut for

'Connessioni annullare' or whatever it is in Italian (Google translation)

here 'Verbindungen lösen' ......

or The Ol' Switcheroo as Larry Jordan does call it here

http://www.larryjordan.biz/fcpx-too-cool-for-school/

Jan 21, 2013 2:32 PM in response to totemsub

OK, problem solved. I got the tip from the "Creative Cow" forum. I think it can be useful for others, so here is the solution: IN FCPX, go to Final Cut Pro>Commands>Customize, then enter "Connections". Now search for "override connections", highlight it and press the key you want to operate this command with. In my case, FCPX would not let me choose the backslash key (the one in the same position as the "grave" or "tilde" key), and I had to duplicate the standard set. It works now.

Kind regards

Grave key for non US keyboards

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.