Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting a large screen for MacBook Pro

I have a MacBook Pro, probably about three years old now. It's a great computer, although I often visit a friend who has an iMac and the screen size just blows me away. (It's the smaller of the two previous model iMacs, whatever that was.) The way he can have so much data in front of him at one time ... spreadsheets, iTunes lists, and monster sized photos! And don't get me started on watching 1080p YouTube on his computer.

:: Drool ::

So ... I've got a perfectly good working MacBook Pro. It seems a shame to get an iMac just to have the large screen. Besides, I feel safer leaving just a screen alone at home, rather than a whole computer that can get stolen.

Trouble is, I know nothing about getting a large screen. Interfaces, brands, size, resolution, price vs quality, options like using both the laptop screen and the large screen at the same time, where to place the Mac while looking at the large screen, etc.

I have no idea where to even start. I don't even know how much money constitutes "quality". $200? $400? $800? I'm sure I could google this and spend four hours just learning the terminology. (ie, Spend four hours learning how to search for the information I need.)

But I was hoping there's someone for whom this is child's play and who could steer me in the right direction. What are the must-have features, price points, and pitfalls to be aware of?

-John

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 5:31 PM

9 replies

Jan 18, 2013 5:36 PM in response to Plenty7

Quality comes from brand more than price, I think. Samsung and LG make good quality devices that look as pretty at home as in the store. And Best Buy has a liberal return policy if required.

Price buys more higher speed inputs (HDMI). It also buys faster refresh rates and higher gaming class resolution.

Brand first, my opinion.

Jan 19, 2013 7:24 PM in response to steve359

Thank you, Steve.

Is there anything to the process of hooking up a large screen? I remember years ago I tried to hook up a TV set to my old G3 and it was not fun - screen resolution settings, preferences, etc.

Is adding a large screen to a three year old MacBook Pro "plug and play"?

Or am I going to have to read an instruction manual?

-JOHN

Jan 19, 2013 9:35 PM in response to Plenty7

The only monitor that I know of that is 'plug & play' is Apple's 27" Thunderbolt Display - that's just one of the reasons that I purchased one: after seeing so many here jump through hoops only to get a 'blurry', low-res monitor working. Yes, it's $1,000, but not only do you get an excellent IPS screen, you get the whole hub of ports.

There are those, of course, who've had no trouble with some Dell Ultrasharps. Samsungs, etc. You might have to do some 'fiddling around' with SwitchXRes to get what you're looking for out of an external display. I didn't go the cheapest router but I went to route that was best for me.

Good luck,

Clinton

Jan 22, 2013 1:58 AM in response to Plenty7

is there anything to watch out for to avoid?

Confirm the maximun resolution support of your MacBook Pro model.

You don't want to buy a monitor that has a higher resolution than what your machine supports.

Find your machine in the following page, go to it's page, and read up under the heading "Built-in Displays" and "2nd Display Support":

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/index-macbookpro.html

The max resolution supported for the 2nd Display is that which helps determines the final size of your external monitor.

Also, when it comes to adapters, if you buy a DVI monitor that requires dual link DVI (high resolution up to 2560x1600) then it will be necessary to purchase the correct adapter. From the Mini DisplayPort, one would need the dual link DVI capable adapter. The "regular" Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter only goes as high as 1920x1200 resolution.

Take care in choosing adapters.

Other than that, you may wish to avoid too many features. Check the net for reports of a monitors builtin speakers, mics, cameras, etc., being properly supported in OS X and with your machine type.

Likely, simple is best.

Definitely the easiest.....

Getting a large screen for MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.