Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I delete songs with iOS 4.2.1 on an iPad. No other Mac or PC availably?

I own an iPad with version 4.2.1 on it and do not have an other PC or Mac to connect to. I can not delete songs or update my iOS version on my iPad. Any ideas . . . O_ o ?

iPad, iOS 4.2

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 6:40 PM

There are no other ideas. You need a computer to update the iPad. There is no alternative. As for the songs, without updating to iOS 5.1.1 you do not have the ability to remove the songs without unsyncing them from iTunes which once again means that you need a computer. In iOS 5 and up, you can delete the songs directly on the device, but not in earlier iOS versions.

You can take the iPad to an Apple Store and they can update it for you, but you will lose everything on the iPad unless you can back it up on another computer, restore from that backup and then download all of your content again.

Bottom line - you must have a computer and do this through iTunes or you are stuck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2013 6:40 PM in response to Walt. o_O

There are no other ideas. You need a computer to update the iPad. There is no alternative. As for the songs, without updating to iOS 5.1.1 you do not have the ability to remove the songs without unsyncing them from iTunes which once again means that you need a computer. In iOS 5 and up, you can delete the songs directly on the device, but not in earlier iOS versions.

You can take the iPad to an Apple Store and they can update it for you, but you will lose everything on the iPad unless you can back it up on another computer, restore from that backup and then download all of your content again.

Bottom line - you must have a computer and do this through iTunes or you are stuck.

How do I delete songs with iOS 4.2.1 on an iPad. No other Mac or PC availably?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.