Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Install 10.8 On Older iMac After Purchase of New MBA

I recently purchased a new MBA and was wondering if there is a way to install Mountain Lion on my Mid-2010 iMac without having to purchase it from the Mac App Store. According to KB HT4854 a purchased copy of Mountain Lion can be installed on multiple computers, but what about a copy of Mountain Lion that came pre-installed on a new computer?

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:08 PM

9 replies

Jan 18, 2013 8:21 PM in response to Jeremy1026

You'd think that spending $1000+ on a machine would give you the same privledges on its software that comes with a $20 download.

Why would you think that? When has buying a new Mac with any version of OSX ever given anybody the right to install that version on any other Mac? The OSX that comes on your Mac is only licensed for that Mac.

Jan 18, 2013 8:33 PM in response to Jeremy1026

Just doesn't work that way.

I might add that if you bought a PC with Windows 8 you wouldn't be allowed to install that on any other PC either.

Being able to buy ML and use it on all your Macs is generous.

Look what happens when you buy Adobe's Photoshop, where even a $200 upgrade only works on one Mac at a time.

$20 for ML is cheap.

Jan 18, 2013 8:34 PM in response to Jeremy1026

The answer to your question is made abundantly clear in the Software License Agreement you agreed to when you configured your new MBA.

Read paragraph 2A "Preinstalled and Single-Copy Apple Software License"

This restriction has existed for at least fifteen years.

The very next paragraph describes permitted uses for OS X purchased from the App Store.

Install 10.8 On Older iMac After Purchase of New MBA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.