Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I remove a time machine partition?

My son partitioned his iMac to use time machine. I bought him an external drive and pointed time machine to the external drive. Now I need to remove the time machine partition on his iMac. How do I do this?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:42 PM

Where is this partition? Are you removing it in order to enlarge an adjacent partition?

The tool for all of this is Disk Utility.

1. Open Disk Utility and select the drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list.

2. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. You should see the graphical sizing window showing the existing partitions. A portion may appear as a blue rectangle representing the used space on a partition.

3. Select the partition you wish to remove by clicking in its space. Click on the Delete [-] button to remove the partition. Click on the Apply button. When the process is completed the partiton will be removed and a gray area will replace it.

4. Select the sizing gadget in the lower right corner of the remaining partition and drag it down to the bottom as far as it will go. Click on the Apply button. When completed the space will be added to the existing partition returning the drive to a single volume.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 18, 2013 8:42 PM in response to YudanJ

Where is this partition? Are you removing it in order to enlarge an adjacent partition?

The tool for all of this is Disk Utility.

1. Open Disk Utility and select the drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list.

2. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window. You should see the graphical sizing window showing the existing partitions. A portion may appear as a blue rectangle representing the used space on a partition.

3. Select the partition you wish to remove by clicking in its space. Click on the Delete [-] button to remove the partition. Click on the Apply button. When the process is completed the partiton will be removed and a gray area will replace it.

4. Select the sizing gadget in the lower right corner of the remaining partition and drag it down to the bottom as far as it will go. Click on the Apply button. When completed the space will be added to the existing partition returning the drive to a single volume.

How do I remove a time machine partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.